Author Topic: Converting Starship Troopers  (Read 5784 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Converting Starship Troopers
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »
It's an additional roll in combat. It's also using the actual Strength stat, not the bonus, so there's no accounting for species that are simply stronger than humans, cyborgs with cyberarms etc., Psis with Psi Strength on, etc.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
The extra roll is not an issue to me - especially since I generally game in PbP.   The additional Racial bonus to Str would need to be addressed with a +5 for each str bonus plus. In ST it really is not an issue as the aliens are generally bugs or skinnies and only skinnies need the modifier, if at all.

As for Psi enhanced or cyber enhanced strength - similar +5 per str bonus and maybe more for cyber arms if shock absorbers are included in the design. 
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »
The default stats for weapon skills are strength and agility so characters with high Strength bonuses are already soaking up recoil penalties with Strength bonus.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
Under that logic, I would assume that a character with little to no strength bonus and trained equally with both standard and recoilless assault rifles should actually have less problem firing the recoilless weapon (resulting in greater OB) - which, unless I am missing something, is not the case unless they are firing bursts - in which case an agile guy can fire a heavy recoil weapon equally well to a strong character.

My expectation would be - Strength bonus can cancel out recoil impact, but would grant no extra bonus beyond that.   OB Bonus would be best handled strictly by Agility or maybe even Agility + one of the more non-physical stats (Insight, Reasoning, or Self-Discipline).

Maybe I'll spin off something on that thought process...
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com