Author Topic: Version 4g - Remarks  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Version 4g - Remarks
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:00:42 AM »
Hi,

For this version most likely I won't be able to give feedback on the whole book (new job, new son, ...), but focus mainly on sensors and scanners.

After first glance:
- I think this new system is really improvement. Especially using with scanners the same RI rules as for ranged weapons.
- Proposal: use RI rules also for sensors instead of the fixed ranges (near, far, ...)
- p177: "Determine Body Shape" and "Determine Body Temp": Target Number is both times 101 and the lifeform must have been detected, which also has a TN of 101 -> to me this means either that you should make 3 rolls or, if you make only 1 roll, that Shape and Temp are determined automatically as soon as you detect the lifeform. I would like to see a mechanics where 1 roll is sufficient but Temp and Shape are not detected automatically -> raise TN of Detect Shape and Temp?

BR
Juergen

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Version 4g - Remarks
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:15:58 AM »
Hi,

For this version most likely I won't be able to give feedback on the whole book (new job, new son, ...), but focus mainly on sensors and scanners.

All the changed areas have been identified in the various ToDo threads; it shouldn't be necessary to read the entire book; I'd appreciate a glance at the saner vehicle table. Congrats on new job and new son!

After first glance:
- I think this new system is really improvement. Especially using with scanners the same RI rules as for ranged weapons.

Though do note that there isn't a point-blank bonus as that felt a bit like overkill. The devices should be designed to work properly in a certain range.

- Proposal: use RI rules also for sensors instead of the fixed ranges (near, far, ...)

I'm considering that.

- p177: "Determine Body Shape" and "Determine Body Temp": Target Number is both times 101 and the lifeform must have been detected, which also has a TN of 101 -> to me this means either that you should make 3 rolls or, if you make only 1 roll, that Shape and Temp are determined automatically as soon as you detect the lifeform. I would like to see a mechanics where 1 roll is sufficient but Temp and Shape are not detected automatically -> raise TN of Detect Shape and Temp?

The intent was that if a character detected a life form of a particular size, they'd get the Shape and Temp etc. if their roll was also good enough to beat those target numbers, not that characters would be making multiple rolls. As that's unclear, I've replaced the single target number for the subsidiary information types with 4 numbers dependent on size of lifeform. Body Shape is now 111 / 121 / 131 /141 for Medium +, Small, Tiny and Microbial respectively, likewise Body Temp on a bioscanner.
e.g.
Determine Bio-Kingdom   101 / 121 / 141 / 161
Determine Distribution   121 / 141 / 161 / 181
Determine Chemical Base   121 / 141 / 161 / 181
Determine Body Shape/Size   111 / 131 / 151 / 171
Determine Body Temp   111 / 131 / 151 / 171
Determine Body Structure   121 / 141 / 161 / 181
Determine Health   141 / 161 / 181 / 201
Determine Diet   141 / 161 / 181 / 201

Likewise on Biological Analysis for Sensor Suites / Systems.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline jem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:59:54 PM »
I had a good read at work today (I am a pillar of responsibility) and it looks great Nicholas. 

The sensor rules are excellent and it will be interesting to see how they play in practice.

Well done that man!

Jem

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 07:31:06 AM »
I bought the Beta a few days ago, because it rained and I had holiday :) I assume I will never play a SCFI game due the lack of players, but the rules are great and some stuff would also be an enhancement for the HARP Fantasy game. The options I like most are ?Skill Flexibility? and the new ?Sub-Skill? rules and I?m pretty sure I will use them in any future HARP game (maybe together with a few of the new talents and skills).

It read like a streamlined and improved version of HARP, so I hope some of the ideas and additions will be taken over to HARP fantasy (maybe as a revision or as articles in the HARPer?s Bazaar?s)

So, all I have left to say is: Great work.  :D

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:18:12 PM »
Text adjusted on ranges for sensor suites and systems:

Sensor Suite and Sensor System Ranges
Sensor Suites and Sensor Systems are effective over much longer ranges. Each suite and system has a characteristic Range Increment (RI). For each full Range Increment that the target is from the sensor, the sensing maneuver is modified by ?10 up to five range increments. For each range increment beyond the fifth, the penalty is doubled.  The Range Increments for different technological stages are given in the table below (1 light second = 300,000 km, 1 astronomical unit (au) = 150,000,000 km or 500 light seconds).
TypeEarly RIMature RIAdvanced RI
Biological Sensor Suite0.5km1km2km
Construct Sensor Suite1km2km5km
Biological Sensor System0.5 Light Seconds1 Light Second2 Light Seconds
Construct Sensor System0.5 Light Seconds1 Light Second2 Light Seconds
Planetary Sensor System1 Light Second2 Light Seconds5 Light Seconds
Stellar Sensor System5au10au20au

When one of these suites or systems is ?planetbound?, i.e. landed on the surface of a world or in an atmosphere, the maximum range will be the distance to the horizon

-----

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:41:51 AM »
Tricerans formally renamed to Cerans.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:50:45 AM »
Close to Cereans...

I?ve now read the beginning of the revision, first off, I enjoyed the read and liked that the setting was put this early in the book, well done. I?m also very interested in the setting, it seems good, are those portals perhaps somewhat similar to Stargates? ;) Me likes.

I have also looked through the vehicle document, I must say I really enjoyed the read on energy consumption, again well made rules, I have played a quite a few sci-fi rules, few of the ones I have tested have had a fuel system like this, I like your decision and conjuration.

So, not very much to say except good stuff, sorry;)

I?m still reading, if I come upon something I will mention it. but so far, well done and good work!
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
Close to Cereans...

The Star Wars Cereans are a mammalian race with two brains and two hearts, etc. The Ceran (formerly Triceran) concept is far away from the Cereans. But the name may get changed again if it is perceived to have avoided one problem only to suffer an imperial entanglement.

I?ve now read the beginning of the revision, first off, I enjoyed the read and liked that the setting was put this early in the book, well done. I?m also very interested in the setting, it seems good, are those portals perhaps somewhat similar to Stargates? ;) Me likes.

I think more in terms of Sir Arthur C Clarke's black monoliths, Poul Anderson's Tipler cylinders in his novel The Avatar, etc. than Stargate SG-1/Atlantis stargates, which are mostly planetbound, much smaller and seem to be everywhere.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »
The Star Wars Cereans are a mammalian race with two brains and two hearts, etc. The Ceran (formerly Triceran) concept is far away from the Cereans. But the name may get changed again if it is perceived to have avoided one problem only to suffer an imperial entanglement.

With the Star Wars race being extremely different, that won't be an issue, I think. Besides, Ceran came from Ceratopsids, which is basically what a triceratops is.  ;D

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »
Ceran is a good name, don?t get me wrong, I?m sure The Empire won?t mind ;) I just thought about it straight away, I?m a star wars nerd, hence the association.

All right, I?m not very familiar with Clarke nor Anderson, so I apologise for my ignorance :-\

Still, me likes.

After having skimmed through and read quite a bit more I must say I?m even more impressed and whilst its not that constructive I must say I am looking forward to the final product, with art and proper layout (I presume its going to look quite a bit different). I have found only one thing that I feel needs some better clarification, which is the equation that has to do with velocity, distance travelled and time travelled. Whilst they are well worded I do get slightly confused at certain points, of course this may be blamed on my own ineptitude with maths and not being 100% sober whilst reading that part.
Reading and skimming through the combat chapter I get a good impression of how things work, how detailed it is and such, space combat seems to be well solved, this is perhaps what impressed me the most in the book, besides the encouraging and enrapturing beginning of the book, the history and setting description.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:49:14 AM »
Ceran is a good name, don?t get me wrong, I?m sure The Empire won?t mind ;) I just thought about it straight away, I?m a star wars nerd, hence the association.

All right, I?m not very familiar with Clarke nor Anderson, so I apologise for my ignorance :-\

No worries.

Still, me likes.

After having skimmed through and read quite a bit more I must say I?m even more impressed and whilst its not that constructive I must say I am looking forward to the final product, with art and proper layout (I presume its going to look quite a bit different). I have found only one thing that I feel needs some better clarification, which is the equation that has to do with velocity, distance travelled and time travelled. Whilst they are well worded I do get slightly confused at certain points, of course this may be blamed on my own ineptitude with maths and not being 100% sober whilst reading that part.

Tim has produced further tables that allow direct lookups for the more common travel calculations that would otherwise require the equations.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 06:08:10 AM »
Well then, all is good:)

Well done Dr Caldwell, well done!

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff