Author Topic: Vehicle Creation - Wishes/Suggestions/Comments ...  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Vehicle Creation - Wishes/Suggestions/Comments ...
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:37:18 AM »
Hi,

As Nicholas mentioned that he now starts looking at the Vechicle Creation System, I would like to open this thread for posting any comments, suggestions, whishes, ... on that.

From my side there are the following thoughts:

- I would like to have a simple and lego like system.
- No backward or looplike dependencies between systems (i.e. nothing like: the more you add the more mass -> better drive needed -> more power -> more mass -> ....)
- Electronic character should be able to download into a vehicle and use it like a robot
- Easy conversion from d20
- Any kind of stats should be the result of design decisions (e.g. Maneuverability is a combination of Size and Drive and other systems, e.g. maneuver boosters, ...)
- Guidelines on generation and classification of mechs, starships and so on. Example: military crafts up to x tons and an acceleration of y are called Corvettes/Destroyers/ ..... Typically they have the following armarment ... and....
- If possible base it on the spacecraft system table already included in HARP SF.

One idea to implement this would be a Cybertech like rule system:
- Vehicles have physical stats
- All systems can be bought like Cybertech Talents, which have a DP cost and a Credit cost.
- Cost / efficiency depends on size. My suggestion would be to introduce f.e. 5 size classes, differentiated by mass (-10t, -100t, ...)
- I would add Quirks, i.e. possibilities to have performance degraded. Perhaps rules on how to decrease cost based depending on a system's condition.

BR
Juergen

Offline Lord Damian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Vehicle Creation - Wishes/Suggestions/Comments ...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »
my preference would be more of a meta system, like mekton or sillhouette, which would allow you to build anything from the ground up, weapons, spaceships, cars, or carts.  but i'm a math geek and gearhead, so i know my wishes are in the minority. :D

Lord Damian

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »
I am all for simplicity, as that is the spirit of HARP. Whatever will make it the easiest on the players and GMs alike, without sacrificing the feeling of being able to create something unique gets my vote. ;)
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:19:20 AM »
A quick query regarding easy conversion from d20 (or for that matter Traveller), is that just to be able to swipe their deck plans and make up plausible seeming HARP stats?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:29:10 AM »
A quick query regarding easy conversion from d20 (or for that matter Traveller), is that just to be able to swipe their deck plans and make up plausible seeming HARP stats?

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Yes from my side. To be more concrete: I had the Future Armada products in mind.

BR
Juergen

Offline Lord Damian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »
Nick, the one thing i'd like to see is relative values, which, btw, could easily be something along the line of "1 cm of x material is armor of x" and such.  something that gives me real world comparative values.  then i can make my own conversions.  :D

Lord Damian

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 04:35:38 AM »
I'd like to see a modularity (sort of plug and play) where you have various subsystems with stats and you can just plug them together. Maybe they have power consumption and how much space they need but then maybe the hull and powerplant should be last part to choose?

Another thing that I would really appreciate is that looking at the finished vehicle even done by you or other players, you would be able to see how it was constructed. This would be a nice thing because fiction is full of spaceships that have been through a lot of retrofitting and conversions. This way it would be relatively easy to do mechanicswise, too.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 03:50:59 PM »
One of the easyiest and still seamed realistic was the battletec system for mech, dropship, jumpship and warship.
 Some of the others like d6, heavy gear, jovian chronicals are IMO poor and not tecnical at all and on the otherside T4 fire, fusion and steel can be very technical. I have not taken a look at d20vehicles so I have no comment thier.
 One think I like about battle tec is pieces of the ship have armor or hit points so the pieces fail and then the whole ship can fail from thier.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
An outline description of the vehicle creation system appears in the August TGC editorial.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme