Author Topic: What Setting do you play in?  (Read 6818 times)

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What Setting do you play in?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 02:15:44 AM »
If you have a chance, you should come up then :) Too bad you missed this year's party...
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »
Mungo, did you have a look  at the Fading Suns stuff?
What do you think about it?
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
Mungo, did you have a look  at the Fading Suns stuff?
What do you think about it?

Hi,

Just the intro, which was quite nice. Otherwise it took me until yesterday evening to finish reading the HARP SF 4d manuscript.

I will start with the Fading Sun stuff tomorrow.

BR
Juergen

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:50 AM »
Another setting that I have thought is Ghost In the Shell. There is quite nice fan based work already done at the net. Unfortunately it is done for d20 Modern with which I have no prior knowledge of. Can anyone help with conversion from d20 Modern to HARP SF?
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 06:40:18 AM »
Avast and Ahoi!
Just got a great idea how to incorporate all my ideas into a coherrent setting for Harp SF.
It will be a mix of ancient Greece, Egypt, Rome and Mesopotamia with a dark cyberpunk athmosphere and at the end of the campaign all pc's still alive will probably be insane.

I'll try to write a blog or diary about how I adapt the rules and all that.

Anyway I just wanted to share my excitement about it. :)
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Alcibiades

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • MySpace
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:05 PM »
I'm currently working on a dark, urban fantasy setting in 1990's Boston. Think Charles de Lint, Neil Gaiman with the tiniest, subtle influence of Howard Phillips Lovecraft ...
Life is like an anole. Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's brown, but it's always a small Caribbean lizard.

Offline jem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
Hey guys - love HARP SF and play mostly in the Classic Traveller universe.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »
Once I get a group up and running I have a feeling I?ll try to do a Star Warsesque type of setting.. its simply my favourite sci-fi/space opera setting, and one that I know perhaps too well.
Problem is, I?ve just recently moved back home from three years away, so getting players isn?t the most easy of tasks, at least not competent players, and I have to admit I?m demanding a bit more now than in the old days.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
 I have some bad news. The GM of the HARP fantasy game has decided to change the system to World of Darkness. But my 7th level fusion  warrior/psi, ESP/kinetics character was just comming into his own.
 The changes in the PSI skills really affect my character but IMO are better for the game in the long run. In a high fantasy setting I did realise that I had to have some psi ranged attack skills and cryo-bolt came in very handy. We use a modified table with RMSS rules a tiny was an A-25, then an A ect as the size increased. Since we were fighting elementals it came in very handy and I was able to provide some needed support to the front line fighters.
 The reason for the change was a GM decision that combat was taking too long and the GM wanted more than 1-2 combat scenes per night. Which is quite a few since we game for about 4-6 hours. But that is what his story needs to move so hence the chnage.

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 03:50:38 AM »
I have some bad news. The GM of the HARP fantasy game has decided to change the system to World of Darkness.

These things happen.

But my 7th level fusion  warrior/psi, ESP/kinetics character was just comming into his own.
 The changes in the PSI skills really affect my character but IMO are better for the game in the long run. In a high fantasy setting I did realise that I had to have some psi ranged attack skills and cryo-bolt came in very handy. We use a modified table with RMSS rules a tiny was an A-25, then an A ect as the size increased. Since we were fighting elementals it came in very handy and I was able to provide some needed support to the front line fighters.

It's good to know that the telekinetic/esp fusion character was working out for you, particularly in the unusual context of a fantasy milieu. Thanks for the playtesting feedback.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »
Nicholas,
 I am more of a RMSS player but I did not mind the HARP system. As I said I think the game was going well and most of the players were having a good time. After having moved I joined the group in progress liberaly using HARP. By that I mean very high adventure rules that seams to be focus of his setting.
 On the flip side the WoD rules are going to have some problem representing the HARP char we were playing. IMO the pure fighter types are going to lose the most and the mage types are going to gain the most. Going from over 150 hits to 7-10 hits is a big change and going from HARP magic to WoD Mage is a huge shift in power.

All in all I would play HARP/HARP Sci FI again if I did not have RMSS and SM:P and the crossover seamed to work very well.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.