Author Topic: Getting into RM, question about books  (Read 1397 times)

Offline BrotherOats

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Getting into RM, question about books
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »

Hi all!

I’m just getting into RM. (I’ve played MERP before.) After doing some research, I decided that of the several editions, RMC will likely work best for me: crunchy but not too complicated.

So far, I have purchased the following Rolemaster Classic titles:
•   Character Law
•   Creatures and Treasures
•   Spell Law
I will grab a copy of Arms Law very soon. I just need to trade in some more stuff for store credit.

What else should I get?
 I understand that RMC is backwards compatible with the old RM materials. Are there any RM2 titles I ought to consider?
Anything in other editions?

Offline BrotherOats

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Getting into RM, question about books
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 03:03:10 PM »
It occurs to me this one might be better off merged with another poster's thread.

'RMC books'

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »
iv found RM Companion I and II the most useful for fleshing out rules and adding more professions. The skills descriptions and skill costs tables in RMC II - I have really found super useful and I use them as the master set of costs for my campaign.

Although all of these rules can likely be found online as PDF files is always good to have them in a physical rulebook to keep track of things specific for your own campaign. I have a player who searches the internet for spells and rules for his RM character and while this can add something extra it can also be a nightmare to maintain some control and balance of your campaign world/

Offline BrotherOats

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

It's not a book, but I'll almost certainly buy Combat Minion, too. I played through a few combats with the sample app and it seems very quick and efficient. Combats should be a breeze using the software.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 02:41:11 PM »
iv found RM Companion I and II the most useful for fleshing out rules and adding more professions. The skills descriptions and skill costs tables in RMC II - I have really found super useful and I use them as the master set of costs for my campaign.

Rolemaster Companion I is available as a pdf on RPG now, which is only legal way to get the pdf. You can get the old print book through ebay, but while the content is the same the layout was completely updated in the new pdf.

Rolemaster Companion II isn't back in print yet, so there is no legal way to obtain a pdf. You can get the book itself on ebay. I don't believe there is any sort of schedule for the re-release of Companion II. ICE is focused on RMU, and Terry has a bunch of Shadow World releases in the pipeline. I think those are the number 1 priority for ICE right now.

Offline BrotherOats

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »

Rolemaster Companion I is available as a pdf on RPG now, which is only legal way to get the pdf. You can get the old print book through ebay, but while the content is the same the layout was completely updated in the new pdf.

Rolemaster Companion II isn't back in print yet, so there is no legal way to obtain a pdf. You can get the book itself on ebay. I don't believe there is any sort of schedule for the re-release of Companion II. ICE is focused on RMU, and Terry has a bunch of Shadow World releases in the pipeline. I think those are the number 1 priority for ICE right now.

I love PDFs. DriveThruRPG/RPGNow gets a lot of my business.

Thanks for the tips.