Author Topic: Undead vs. High Rolls on Critical Tables  (Read 2839 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Undead vs. High Rolls on Critical Tables
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »
RMU does say that a death critical should always be interpreted as causing death, even if you have to reinterpret the details based on the creature's anatomy. Creatures might still be immune to specific effects, e.g. bleeding, stun, etc, for criticals that do not cause death.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »
In researching a few RMU items, I did come across where they do advise, allowing the “killing flavour text” to also apply to normally immune creatures.

As above, I was always loving describing how the vile undead beast just did not care one lick as to how many times their lungs were punctured!

I did allow brain shots to kill - darn 70/80s Zombie Movie culture!

Send…more…cops…

;)

Nightblade ->--

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
RMU does say that a death critical should always be interpreted as causing death, even if you have to reinterpret the details based on the creature's anatomy. Creatures might still be immune to specific effects, e.g. bleeding, stun, etc, for criticals that do not cause death.

I think that's a good way to look at it.  I mean, if you roll on the Crit table & get a result that says the target dies, then that should apply no matter what the creature is immune to.  You (as the GM) just need to modify the description to make it fit the creature (as has been suggested previously).

Nightblade ->--

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
I for one like my undead to be terrifying.

that doodoo your pants feeling when you slam you spear stright through that zombies ribs into its heart.
High fives all round for what should be a killing blow only to realize, not only is that zombie still trying to eat you. it has now effectively disarmed you and is pulling itself closer along your spear.

I'm with Turbs on this one.

If the default rule is that death crits are always deadly, that's cool; I can understand that playstyle. But my skeletons are still going to be coming forward after taking spears through their desiccated hearts.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 06:04:09 AM »
In researching a few RMU items, I did come across where they do advise, allowing the “killing flavour text” to also apply to normally immune creatures.

As above, I was always loving describing how the vile undead beast just did not care one lick as to how many times their lungs were punctured!

Send…more…cops…

;)

Nightblade ->--

Huh.  What do you know.  Brains ease pain.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »

“Send…more…cops…”

;)

Nightblade ->--

+1 reference!  Nice!

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »
In RMC Spell Law section 4.5 indicates the large creature critical table is used for undead.
I guess you can tweak the system to fit your game, especially if the undead have specific weaknesses.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

e crits all round