Author Topic: Creatures & Treasure  (Read 1283 times)

Offline ProfessorFate

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Creatures & Treasure
« on: June 14, 2019, 02:35:34 AM »
Hi all, newbie RM GM here and I need to pick some brains. I have everything printed for rmx/rmc and I know it is 100% compatible with RM2. I found a really good deal on C&T 1,2,&3 but I don't know if the classic version of C&T is just the first volume of the RM2 version or if it is a compilation of all three. If someone could let me know it would be great.

Also, I'm am looking at starting up a RMC game in the near future and was wondering what other books people would recommend I should get?
I have found a cheap copy of the Martial Arts Companion, but unsure if I should grab it being a RMSS book. How easy is it to convert to RMC?

Thanks in advance.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Creatures & Treasure
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:57:30 AM »
basically RMC C&T (229? pages) is a rehash, cleanup and correction of RM2 C&T1 (92? pages).

i cannot say much for the treasures section but RM2 C&T2+3 Creature descriptions are not contained in RMC C&T.

what is definitely missing from RMC C&T is the AD&D Conversion Notes, but you milage my vary.

i would stay away from RMSS as conversion is rather awkward.

if you need RM2/RMC martial/warrior arts, i would recommend you the RM2 Oriental Companion (ICE#1540) and to a limited degree the RM2 Arms Companion (ICE#1120).

T
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline ProfessorFate

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:38 AM »
basically RMC C&T (229? pages) is a rehash, cleanup and correction of RM2 C&T1 (92? pages).

i cannot say much for the treasures section but RM2 C&T2+3 Creature descriptions are not contained in RMC C&T.

what is definitely missing from RMC C&T is the AD&D Conversion Notes, but you milage my vary.

if you need RM2/RMC martial/warrior arts, i would recommend you the RM2 Oriental Companion (ICE#1540) and to a limited degree the RM2 Arms Companion (ICE#1120).

T

Cheers for the quick reply. I bought the three volumes of C&T. I've got oriental companion as a pdf, which will have to suffice for the moment. I already have the RMC version of companion 1, would you recommend the others?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:45:01 AM »
Just as a caution, RMC is not 100% compatible with RM2.  At least not if some players have RM2 PCs and one or two players show up with RMC PCs.  I ran into this issue and there are enough differences that the RMC PCs had an unfair advantage.  The players noticed it very early on in the session and I noticed more differences from the GM side and I had to have the player roll up RM2 PCs for the next session to continue in the campaign.

I would say that it is 100% compatible if everyone is using the same system and you bounce back to RM2 books for reference or to pull spell lists or optional skills.  Arms Companion is an excellent book to have as it gives non-spell users some cool options.

Personally, C&T  is my favorite of the three books.  C&T II had some really nice things though and I referenced it often.

Absolutely correct.  RMSS and RMFRP are very different as they were a rebuild and full revamp of RM2.  I don't recommend mixing those systems into RM2/RMC.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:01:25 PM »
Cheers for the quick reply. I bought the three volumes of C&T. I've got oriental companion as a pdf, which will have to suffice for the moment. I already have the RMC version of companion 1, would you recommend the others?

Both the RMC Combat Companion (Combat Styles) and RMC Spell Law 2 (Beastmaster, Druid, Paladin, Priest) are worth checking out.

as #Spectre771 already said RMC is not 100% RM2, IMHO you should stay rather RMC-ish than RM2-ish, as its in itself better optinionated and balanced.

T
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]