Author Topic: Real World Alchemy  (Read 944 times)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Real World Alchemy
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
Here is an interesting video (as well as others that involve chemistry, it is sponsored by ACS (which is partially funded by my employer, being one of the giants in the chemical industry)) that tells a little about Alchemy.  It explains a little of how alchemists did what they did and how they recorded their work and why so little is known about it anymore.  It is presented by a chemist and historian of science from John Hopkins University:

http://www.bytesizescience.com/
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Real World Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
 You should plug ACS for those who do not know it. (But maybe I am just a little biased as I love chem)
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Real World Alchemy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
Not a problem (figured anyone who was interested enough to care already knew, but suppose I should not make those types of assumptions).

ACS = American Chemical Society
This is a huge non-profit organization that promotes chemistry and chemical education.  Has something like 180,000+ members (chemists, in both industry and academia, as well as a few business and engineering folks who are involved in the industry) and is primarily funded by member dues and donations. 

If you have any interest in chemistry, their web site has a lot of info on it: www.acs.org
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)