Author Topic: HARP SF for print needs 3 extra pages. Your suggestions, please  (Read 3230 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
HARP SF for print needs 3 extra pages. Your suggestions, please
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
Here's the deal. Lightning Source who do the printing for OneBookShelf require books of a certain size to have a page count divisible by 4 modulo 3. HARP SF in pdf format is perfectly divisible by 4, so we must add 3 extra pages to the back of the book. I'd rather these were not blank, so my intent is that we should repeat some key tables from the innards of the book so that they can be easily referenced during play and possibly put a sell sheet on the last page to link readers to HSFX.

The obvious table is The Maneuver Table, so take that as given.

You have a couple of days to propose suggestions. Then I'll let Craig see what is possible and see if we can push HARP SF through the OBS system.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: HARP SF for print needs 3 extra pages. Your suggestions, please
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »
The manoeuvre table as you mention, in addition I would suggest in no particular order: the Goal and Experience table (12.3), perhaps the knowledge table (12.2), language table (12.1) Psi fields and Disciplines (11.6) and 11.3 the range AoE and Duration table for Psi powers… perhaps the condensed fumble table 10.12, perhaps 10.10 (and 10.9?) range tables… 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 wouldn't go amiss… and 9.29 and 9.28 would be nice… its hard to pick really, but some of those tables at least would be nice to handy…

Equipment price list and such would be cool, but I guess it requires too much space…
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
also, as I continue my browsing, the computer tables: 9.5, 9.6 and 9.7… perhaps the equipment comprehension table… the malfunction tables… you got lots here man… this is becoming ridiculous now… sorry. but these tables listed would perhaps fill three pages? or more…?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline Thlaylie

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »
 I would like to recommend some more art if there is any that's been left out be added to whatever else is on these pages.  :)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
More art, of the Runcori and Krakuren in action sequences would be nice, I have a hard time conjuring up images of a Krakuren or Runcori spy, entertainer or fusion: soldier with energy swords or a couple of guns… ;)

(and how should I treat energy swords (lightsabers) in HARP SF? perhaps its own critical table? that's an extra page :D)

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »
More art, of the Runcori and Krakuren in action sequences would be nice, I have a hard time conjuring up images of a Krakuren or Runcori spy, entertainer or fusion: soldier with energy swords or a couple of guns…

You're not the only one. :P
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »
No extra content, no extra artwork. We want this into the OBS system as soon as we can.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
But yeah, those tables I mentioned in my two first posts… I don't know how many there's room for, but most of them would be nice to have gathered in an easy to locate place, like in the back of the book.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
Oh, I think I found a typo in the updated pdf. Page 54, under the religious culture, languages. It has other species language and species language turned around, giving it more ranks in other species language than its own. I assume this is a type and not intentional, but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Same goes for exotic and frontier (page 53-54)… unless this is intentional… this could perhaps be rectified before printing?

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
 I would insert one of the pages after the starcraft descriptions and place the pictures of the starships by the actual ships themselves. I know this would require some editing in the pages of the PDF but I also think it would help out since there are no names next to the ships to tell what they are.

Off the top of my head and not looking at the book to see just what is in the back.
A) Maybe repeat some of the formulas 
B) Transit time chart for Tit U.
C) Artist pages: Artist provide art and links to there pages on the web. Maybe an add for OneBookshelf or something like that.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
I would insert one of the pages after the starcraft descriptions and place the pictures of the starships by the actual ships themselves. I know this would require some editing in the pages of the PDF but I also think it would help out since there are no names next to the ships to tell what they are.

Off the top of my head and not looking at the book to see just what is in the back.
C) Artist pages: Artist provide art and links to there pages on the web. Maybe an add for OneBookshelf or something like that.

MDC

I think you're talking about the HARP SFX (are you referring to p24?) although adding names to the current pic would be no problem if someone wants to tell me which is which?  :)

PS - Don't forget about the layout artist.  ;D

PPS - We're going to have the same problem for HARP SFX unless the already repeated Maneuver Table will be dropped?
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
Oh, I think I found a typo in the updated pdf. Page 54, under the religious culture, languages. It has other species language and species language turned around, giving it more ranks in other species language than its own. I assume this is a type and not intentional, but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Same goes for exotic and frontier (page 53-54)… unless this is intentional… this could perhaps be rectified before printing?

It is unclear. A more accurate term would be Own Species Other Tongue, i.e. the main language of the Terran Federation is Anglic so is Own Species. those on human Religious, Exotic and Frontier cultures are deemed to be more likely to emphasise another human language in preference to Anglic. So a Frontier society settled by colonists hailing from Peru (to pick a random country) might emphasise Spanish over Anglic.

Duly noted for the print-on-demand version. 3 pages only for tables.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »

MDC

I think you're talking about the HARP SFX (are you referring to p24?) although adding names to the current pic would be no problem if someone wants to tell me which is which?  :)

PS - Don't forget about the layout artist.  ;D

PPS - We're going to have the same problem for HARP SFX unless the already repeated Maneuver Table will be dropped?

Thanks my bad I have HARP SFX on the brain right now.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »
I would say devote the extra space to a description of the Tintamar space station.  It is, after all, the location upon which the name of the setting is based.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"