Author Topic: These books worth getting?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
These books worth getting?
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
Looking at the following books I miss in my collection:

Companions 5, 6 and 7
Alchemy companion
Sea law
Spell users companion
Elemental companion

Any of these you'd particularly recommend to get?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: These books worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »
  I lied the SUC and the RM2 EC but the RM2 EC can be a little unbalancing if you are not careful. I also loved the extra metals and rules for elemental forges etc in the RM2 EC.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
I like Sea Law and SUC.  The others are a good read but had limited material I used.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
It really depends on what you are looking for. None of them are terrible (well, I can't personally vouch for Sea Law, but I haven't seen negative comments about it), although all have some flaws, and they vary in how useful they are to particular groups. If you can get them all at a price you can afford, I'd say get them all. If money is an issue, consider what area(s) of your game you want to expand on.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
I would particularly recommend Companion VII, just for the extra professions, some are very solid semi spell users. And I just happen to love the Tarotmage because of all the detail supplied with it: 18 pages of extra material describing what happens when he magically flips a specific Tarot card. :D
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Sean Barley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
I have all of them. I don't use everything, depends on the game that we are running. I agree that you need to be careful. The EC is one of my favorites, however unless you are running a high powered game it can be unbalancing. I made a Fire Elementalist once, he was purely "Shock and Awe" in a few levels, a lot fun to play. The SUC and Alchemly get used a lot with no major issues. They are all worth getting in my opinion as they offer something for every style of play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
Companion VII has neat spell list for feys and vampires.  It also has spell list for dragons that takes them from something to be feared into something to avoid at all cost.

Of course, RM2 skills have much higher maximum bonuses than RMSS.  140 is high in RMSS, with 180 pretty much maxing out.  Max in RM2 is well over 300 when munchkined.  If you have bonuses that high, those optional list can't do any (more) harm.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Sean Barley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
I have never used that spell list for dragons, have you?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
Yes I have, for Scorba, King of Dragons.  I almost felt bad the encounter was so one sided.  The spells that increase breath weapon damage resulted in so many hits being done, the crits really did not matter.  Two rounds later party was done.  I did not feel bad because I gave ample warning.  Hell, THE KING OF DRAGONS should be warning enough to any player that fighting is a worthless tactic.

Offline Sean Barley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:24:11 PM »
I bet. What level were the party members? Definitely need to bring your "A" game when you are stepping up on something like that! Reminds me of an encounter my group had with a Black Reaver. Oh the memories of an evil GM!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »
High 20's to mid 40's.  I really thought the Druid or Arcanist would survive, but they did not use their amazing ability to flee via spells.

The High Warrior monk fell last because of his unpain IV spell and Ring of Might.