Author Topic: Revisiting Scaling Diomin to HARP  (Read 6953 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Revisiting Scaling Diomin to HARP
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
*sigh* Every time I think I'm done with this basic conversion, I find a better idea or something I missed.

In this case, I need to change "no weapons with racial descriptors" to include "except HARP elven weapons that have a direct Japanese equivalent".

Also changed the Gnolaum special rule from Bonus I to Superior Steel.

This is very common IMHO and is why once you get a basic version done you get all of your edits and put out a V1.1 .
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
Good idea, and I'm also trying to get a HARP game in the Diomin setting going on Real Roleplaying. So I'm glad what I have so far is functional.

I also converted one of the major NPCs from one adventure. A direct D&D to HARP conversion would have made a pathetic HARP character, so I just chose the general idea of this character, and rebuilt him around that.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »
I also converted one of the major NPCs from one adventure. A direct D&D to HARP conversion would have made a pathetic HARP character, so I just chose the general idea of this character, and rebuilt him around that.

IMHO that is a great way to go and I have done it also with using other systems modules for RM.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
Got a couple more conversion headaches for a Diomin campaign module. Although both might be missed in the course of adventure, I just need to ask:

1. How do you decide if a wraith is greater or lesser? and
2. There's a trap that fires exactly 6 knives, should I use 1d6 small slash attacks or use an existing mechanical trap design? Also, uncomfortably cramped space: barely enough room in most parts to move in single file.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
I do not have Diomin but I may be able to help out some;

1) What do you mean by "How do you determine if a Wrath is greater or lesser?"

In my game it depends on the situation I have set up or the nature of the location. Also the level of the adventure can determine if the encounter would be greater or lesser wraths.

2) Trap of 6 knives;
 IMHO I would do 1-6 small slash attacks but you could also use a mechanical trap if one exists. Another idea is to roll a d6 and depending on the number achieved that would determine the size of the attack.
3) Not enough room for what?
   Are you saying that the trap is in a very narrow section of the hallway? If so then IMHO all 6 would hit and it would be better to increase the size of the trap attack.

4) Small Spaces and Weapon Attacks: There is an article on the Guild Companion called The Weapons of Novi that have space requirements listed for weapons, IIRC. From this you could put in place a general rule for HARP based on the weapon size or manner of use. IE a spear is large, IIRC, but it can be used as a thrusting weapon. IMHO this use does not take up a lot of space. Where as a swinging type weapon would be impacted by the narrow confines of the hallway.
  IIRC there are rules for narrow spaces is the RMSS Martial Arts Companion and they also might be in the RM2 book Arms Companion. If you can get one of the higher powers such as Thom to ok it I can post then info.

Does that help at all?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2011, 11:28:36 PM »
I do not have Diomin but I may be able to help out some;

1) What do you mean by "How do you determine if a Wrath is greater or lesser?"

In my game it depends on the situation I have set up or the nature of the location. Also the level of the adventure can determine if the encounter would be greater or lesser wraths.

Site of great power, wraith is spirit of a traitor, toward the end of the first adventure so in D&D (what I'm converting from), PCs would be about 4th level.

2) Trap of 6 knives;
 IMHO I would do 1-6 small slash attacks but you could also use a mechanical trap if one exists. Another idea is to roll a d6 and depending on the number achieved that would determine the size of the attack.
3) Not enough room for what?
   Are you saying that the trap is in a very narrow section of the hallway? If so then IMHO all 6 would hit and it would be better to increase the size of the trap attack.

The map at the point of the trap isn't even using standard squares, it's an uncomfortable squeeze.

4) Small Spaces and Weapon Attacks: There is an article on the Guild Companion called The Weapons of Novi that have space requirements listed for weapons, IIRC. From this you could put in place a general rule for HARP based on the weapon size or manner of use. IE a spear is large, IIRC, but it can be used as a thrusting weapon. IMHO this use does not take up a lot of space. Where as a swinging type weapon would be impacted by the narrow confines of the hallway.
  IIRC there are rules for narrow spaces is the RMSS Martial Arts Companion and they also might be in the RM2 book Arms Companion. If you can get one of the higher powers such as Thom to ok it I can post then info.

Given the small space of the hallway, if the party doesn't notice the pressure plate, whoever is in the trap's path is guaranteed to get hit.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
1) Since it is 4th level D&D I would make it a lesser in a combat light environment but if they have a lot of magic items then A greater might work also.

2) IMHO a trap in confined spaces might be easier to detect but it would hit the first person also with everything it has. Or if it is an area trap then it would hit everyone.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
They probably won't have much in the way of magic items, except their spell triggers for a Bless spell if they haven't used them, while they search for the Infinity Plus One Sword of Plot Advancement. Granted being HARP, they could have a few minor magic items (spell and PP adders). And there's another enchanted sword on the same map.

The trap takes up a single D&D square, but the room on the map is less than a square wide. As I said, uncomfortable, single file movement in most cases.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
 Yes IMHO the trap should hit someone, maybe a agility/quickness maneuver to see if they avoid it but then the person behind them would be struck, with a smaller OB.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
This gets even weirder: the stat block lists the monster as Shadow, but the map calls him a Wraith.

That said, this first part only has two planned monsters, all other planned encounters are NPCs. Because these are adventuring types, the NPCs are using 550 point buy, 100 DP at 1st, and 50 DP at each additional level.

Question one: should I keep this up with the planned monsters or use the standard 75s stat array?

Question two: Should I do only the con stat of a non blocked NPC who is scripted to die?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 04:42:10 AM »
Question one: should I keep this up with the planned monsters or use the standard 75s stat array?
[/size]
  If you are taking about generating new monsters or unique monsters for each encounter then I would say no. Just make one of the monster and use it for each encounter needed. The only time I would deviate from this is when a unique or more powerful monster is needed.
Is that what you were asking?

[/size]Question two: Should I do only the con stat of a non blocked NPC who is scripted to die?
[/size]
[/size]  You may need the other stats depending on when they are going to die or what they are going to die from. Or I should say not die from. For example if there is an encounter in which a save is called for and no number is given how is the other GM to know if they save or not? You can also state that in room "X" or encounter "Z" no matter what NPC #1 will fail their RR roll and die. Or some such thing.
  In general newer GM's will have the most trouble if info is left out or not explained fully. IE when introducing the NPC say they are going to die in room "X" no matter what and that they should live until then. In room "X" say this again so as to remind the GM what has to happen. You do repeat yourself but it is better to be sure they understand in case they miss it the first time.
Does that help?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »
The PCs will have a clue to the cause of the death if they investigate it. But to the mechanical tacks: when all the fluff is pulled away it comes down to Con damage.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 05:47:29 AM »
The PCs will have a clue to the cause of the death if they investigate it. But to the mechanical tacks: when all the fluff is pulled away it comes down to Con damage.

As a standard I think you should include the full stat block even though you are only using the Con stat. You can just put the others at some number if you wish and make the Con stat unique but to be precise keep everything the same as much as possible.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »
I think I've overcome a die rolling fluke. This may have something to do with using my dice tray (which is level), instead of my apartment floor (which isn't). The first 3 NPCs I converted to HARP all came out 6 feet tall and weighing 175 pounds, the first of whom has a name, the other two do not.

Two of the next three had references to either being tall or chubby (so I skipped the direction roll of whichever measurement was called out), and this time I got 5'2", 140 pounds for the average all around NPC, 6'1", 230 pounds for the average height chubby NPC, and 6'10" (with a few rerolls when I thought the die wasn't making him taller enough), 210 pounds for the well built, tall guy.

All of these NPCs are human.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »
 If you lay your dice try on the floor and the tray does not have a self leveling feature then it is not level.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
It might be flat.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
Well, to get back to talking about the conversion itself, I need to reevaluate the racial profession restrictions. Just because a HARP Profession has the same name as a D&D class doesn't mean it fills the same role. Case in point: the HARP Druid, it keeps the connection with animals, while losing the "nature cleric" aspect.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
Well, to get back to talking about the conversion itself, I need to reevaluate the racial profession restrictions. Just because a HARP Profession has the same name as a D&D class doesn't mean it fills the same role. Case in point: the HARP Druid, it keeps the connection with animals, while losing the "nature cleric" aspect.

I fully agree that names mean nothing and flavor means everything.

I used to work in a paint store and there was a color that every woman (most) loved, Babies Breath. But the color looked like pepto bismol when on the wall. This was the 2nd most returned color (tried to return) during the mauve color phase.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:55 PM »
Well Bard -> Harper does work. But the HARP Druid from the Codex is closer to what I think one version of RM called an Animist.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »
From conversion work I have done in the past, I generally just create a new profession that fits the idea rather than try to shoehorn something in that isn't what I really want.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com