Author Topic: Arcane Lists  (Read 1948 times)

Offline kenbert

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Arcane Lists
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
I am really thrilled to see the return of Arcane Magic in Spell Law II.  When will we see more official lists added to RMC?  Will it be possible to add them to Spell Law II before the dead tree version comes out?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arcane Lists
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:59:17 AM »
When will we see more official lists added to RMC? 

I don't know

Will it be possible to add them to Spell Law II before the dead tree version comes out?

Sorry, but no.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »
But that should not stop us from asking questions and posting input for a potential spell law III :D As an old player I would love to see all the classic professions from the RoCo reprinted and for some of them slightly reworked.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
But that should not stop us from asking questions and posting input for a potential spell law III :D As an old player I would love to see all the classic professions from the RoCo reprinted and for some of them slightly reworked.

Agrees with Nders on this.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline kenbert

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
When will we see more official lists added to RMC? 

I don't know

Will it be possible to add them to Spell Law II before the dead tree version comes out?

Sorry, but no.

I didn't think so but I thought that I might as well ask.  I think that a good list to add would be a modified version of Mana Fires.  It could be more primitive compared to Fire Law (no triad of flame, etc.) but more destructive.  I would also envision it to be more ethereal fire than "real" fire.   

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »
I doubt seriously that any more material from the old companions will be re-released.  The New ICE and the old ICE aren't the same company.  They would have to go back and re-contact the author of each individual article and get them to sign a release. 

It's kind of a legal nighmare, to be honest with you.

IMHO, the later companions are a testing ground for RMSS/FRP anyway.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
The Guild Companion has already re-released the original RoCo, and is actively hunting down the relevant authors for the other RoCo titles.

Note that in some cases this may amount to an impossible task - for example: RoCo 2 had more than 14 authors who would have to be found; similarly, although the RMSS MAC only had one author ... he appears to be untraceable at the moment ...

On the other hand, GCP has re-released RMSS Essence Companion, and may be able to work towards some of the other "off-limits" titles with time and effort ...

Offline kenbert

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
I'm curious how the Arcane spell lists were chosen in Spell Law II.  Were the other lists in RmCoI dropped because they are too close to other profession's lists?  One could argue that Mana Fires is too powerful compared to Fire Law.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »
I'm curious how the Arcane spell lists were chosen in Spell Law II.  Were the other lists in RmCoI dropped because they are too close to other profession's lists?  One could argue that Mana Fires is too powerful compared to Fire Law.

Simple, I looked at the list and said - "I like that list, I will include it in Spell Law II".   ;D And because they covered things not really found in other spell lists.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:17:21 AM »
I doubt seriously that any more material from the old companions will be re-released.  The New ICE and the old ICE aren't the same company.  They would have to go back and re-contact the author of each individual article and get them to sign a release. 

It's kind of a legal nighmare, to be honest with you.
Technically, they can also wait for them to enter public domain. Since they are works for hire, the copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter. Of course, it may mean that none of us will see the new, public domain, versions of the RoCo (nor would they be printed by the current ICE people ;)) but, heh, it works!
The biggest advantage to be an elf! No worry about copyrights!! Just wait for them to expire. ;D
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:37:10 AM »
Technically, they can also wait for them to enter public domain. Since they are works for hire, the copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter. Of course, it may mean that none of us will see the new, public domain, versions of the RoCo (nor would they be printed by the current ICE people ;)) but, heh, it works!
The biggest advantage to be an elf! No worry about copyrights!! Just wait for them to expire. ;D

That only works if the author was human ... imagine if the work was authored by another elf ...