Author Topic: AI Image Generation for Roleplaying Games  (Read 591 times)

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
AI Image Generation for Roleplaying Games
« on: February 20, 2023, 11:02:55 PM »
I spent a little time over the weekend playing around with AI art generation for RPGs. It's quite amazing what it can do these days. As part of the learning process, I chose a well known RPG cover image to see if I could "recreate" it in pure AI with a completely different style, using mainly text prompts and placement masks. Here's the result:

https://imgur.com/a/TheXuIM

This took quite a few hours, much of which was learning how to use the software. It also took a lot of time because multiple characters in a single scene need placement masking, and lots of trial and error to get the right settings. For those that are interested, it was done using InvokeAI, which is free open source software you can download and install onto your PC. It runs on your own hardware/GPU.

This is amazing for online RPGs. For simple images like single characters, portraits, scenery and town/city-scapes, it takes only seconds/minutes to create fantastic AI-generated images using just a text description.

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: AI Image Generation for Roleplaying Games
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 02:10:46 AM »
Most are aware of the various AI image generation tools by now, and the heated discussions AI generated art brings with it. Fun and amazing for private use, but there are more and more companies that won't touch this due to the fact that these AI tools are using human art to generate new images, sometimes even with the artist's signatures visible in the generated art. Do google Getty Images, Stable Diffusion, Copyright, Lawsuit, and you'll find some interesting reading.