Forum > Rolemaster

RMU Treasure Law: How to create an assault rifle

(1/3) > >>

Thot:
I am trying to make an assault rifle. Well, a  magical item that is, in effect, and assault rifle of sorts.

So, what does the item need to do? It needs to cast a ranged attack spell, many, many times.

What ranged spell? Say, Fire Bolt from the Magician base list Fire Law, a 6th level spell.

Now, we cast this as a continous enchantment, which can be done with the spell "Constant X" from the Adept base list "Essence Emedding".
Constant X is a 35th level spell, and if you cast it twice, you can switch the fire bolts on and off. So we do that. (If we could find a
ranged attack spell of 3rd level or lower, we could use Constant III, which is only a 17th level spell, reducing cost.) We also want the
item to be durable, so it is going to be made from a durable material, such as bronze. It can be inferior bronze, as we are not really
attacking with the item itself, and bronze will not rust either way.

So, how much time would it take to enchant this item?
[*]Work Lesser Metals (5th level)
[*]Fire Bolt (6th level)
[*]Embed VI (13th level)
[*]Constant X (35th level)
[*]once more Constant X (35th level)
[/list]

So total of 94 power points per day, for 94 days, are needed to enchant our level 35 item, and the item would cost 94*35=3230 silver pieces plus material cost (35²=1250) for a total of 4280 sp in a standard campaign.

But wait, this isn't actually an assault rifle, but just a rifle! An assault rifle can fire multiple times per second!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it do that?

Thot:
Oh, wait. Cost is wrong in the above computation:

It is TWO sp per day PLUS 2 sp per day per 40 pp spent, so 4 per day. So the item would cost 94*4+35²=1,601 sp.

nash:
So if you want a lower level attack - Shock Bolt I is second level spell for Magicians.

If you want multiple attacks per round consider Triad of Flame or Triad of Ice.   Both 16th level.

Malim:
The prices are so of!!! :D

Thot:

--- Quote from: Malim on March 08, 2024, 11:11:41 AM ---The prices are so of!!! :D

--- End quote ---

Are they? Did I make an error?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version