Forum > Rolemaster

Time for an RMU Forum?

(1/5) > >>

Hurin:
Might it be time now to create an RMU section of the Rolemaster forums here? It looks like we only have RM2 and RMSS/FRP.

I'd like the RMU Beta boards to remain as an archive if possible, just because there were many good discussions there. But either way, I think we also now need an official RMU section here.

nash:
I was under the impression that Rolemaster is for RMU.  The subforums are for RMSS and RM2?

MisterK:
I would second the motion. I  work on the assumption that the Rolemaster forum is for questions pertaining to RM in general (e.g. use of Fate points in game, classification of spells into realms of magic, lethality of combat and how to enforce or modulate it, how to resolve overland travel, that kind of things). Each subforum is dedicated to a game in particular and should only include answers pertaining to that game, except if the OP asked for insights into other editions of RM.

I must admit that going into the RMSS or RM2 subforum and reading a thread where half the answers refer to RMU is a bit irking. I would rather it be segregated into its own subforum, to clearly indicate that it is one RM version among others. Right now, it feels a bit like the latest edition of the Game That Must Not Be Mentioned: a sparkling new solution to a problem some of us never had.

To be very clear, I am not opposed to RMU intrinsically. I will likely never use it, but the fact that it exists makes the community more vibrant, not less. However, trying to push it forward at every opportunity *does* feel like someone is trying to sell me a new SUV when I just came in asking for advice on how to properly maintain my trusty old compact car.

And putting all RMU discussions in a separate subforum would be a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Spectre771:

--- Quote from: MisterK on March 01, 2024, 01:48:20 PM ---I would second the motion. I  work on the assumption that the Rolemaster forum is for questions pertaining to RM in general (e.g. use of Fate points in game, classification of spells into realms of magic, lethality of combat and how to enforce or modulate it, how to resolve overland travel, that kind of things)...

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I do the same thing.  I always saw the Rolemaster section as anything in general about RM with topics that could apply to any of the individual game systems.  We have HARP, SpaceMaster, RMC/2, RMFRP/SS, adding RMU fits the forum nicely.  The RMU Beta threads could be moved into the RMU Board. (If one is created.)

pastaav:
I don't think a separate RMU forum on the same level as RMC/RM2 and RMFRP is a good idea at all. Possible buyers might visit the forum to see if there is a community that support the game. The idea that RMU is just one RM version among others is not the message Ironcrown need to spread if they want a viable business.

My thought is that the Rolemaster node below Systems & Settings need to be renamed to Rolemaster United. Some RM2-fanatics might not like it, but new material can only be RMU since it is the only RM edition where Ironcrown have full IP-control.

If you want to support Rolemaster going forward you need to buy the new books. Afterward it is your choice if you switch to RMU or just adapt mechanics into your existing game, but clinging to idea that edition to unify Rolemaster is just a new edition do IMHO ignore reality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version