Forum > Rolemaster

Dodging and Shields

(1/5) > >>

Grimsouled:
I see in the rules (Section 9.6) that it explicitly states that passive Dodge and passive Shield cannot be combined. However, it expressly states 'passive'. Does that mean you can use the passive portion of one when you do a Partial or Full of the other? Thanks.

Hurin:
I believe according to the RAW, yes.

Personally, I have just taken passives out of my game altogether, not just because of complications like these, but also because they muddy the waters of what exactly is happening with active/passive defenses. But that's just me.

nash:
I think literally you are correct.  I think that may be an error (or at least poorly written).   It seems weird you can do a full shield block and get a passive running.  Or even weirder, as written you can do a partial dodge and a partial block.

rdanhenry:

--- Quote from: nash on February 27, 2024, 11:46:31 AM ---I think literally you are correct.  I think that may be an error (or at least poorly written).   It seems weird you can do a full shield block and get a passive running.  Or even weirder, as written you can do a partial dodge and a partial block.

--- End quote ---

Pretty sure I've seen Captain America do that.

nash:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on February 27, 2024, 12:34:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: nash on February 27, 2024, 11:46:31 AM ---I think literally you are correct.  I think that may be an error (or at least poorly written).   It seems weird you can do a full shield block and get a passive running.  Or even weirder, as written you can do a partial dodge and a partial block.

--- End quote ---

Pretty sure I've seen Captain America do that.

--- End quote ---

So FWIW in my games... you pick one of the 6 options.  [Passive | Partial | Full] [Dodge | Block].  As I said; I suspect this is the intent of the rules.

However some of the weird combinations may be a useful here.  Say you have 10 ranks in both running and shield and say a +50 bonus to both.  (Totally random numbers).  You are holding a wall shield which blocks 4 attack at +30 (ignoring the multiple shield roll).

So normal rules would say you get 50 for full dodge, and 80 for full shield (4 attacks) for 4 AP.

Lets try partial dodge + partial block.   First 4 attacks are +80 (50/2 + 50/2 + 30).  Same as above.  Next attack is at +25 (partial dodge), with no shield bonus.  Normally you'd be 4 at 80, and then the rest at 0.    Dodge would be +50 on all attacks.  For 5 attacks that would mean 250 DB (dodge total) vs 320 DB (shield total) vs 345 DB (shield + dodge hackery).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version