Forum > HARP Software

HARP: Character Generator Software Application

(1/9) > >>

DavidKlecker:
HARP: CG

I need to come up with good name for this. Any ideas?

I know there are a lot of Harp Character Generators out there but this one I think breaks a new mold. This is a full application written to look and feel and run like standard software. It's currently written in C++ with wxWidgets being the front end. Because of this, Harp: CG can be ported to run on not only Windows of course but on OSX and most Linux distributions.

Harp: CG is also Open Source, although I do not have the code available to download just yet. I will soon. I need to setup a repository and a project like that can take a chunk of time.

A couple of notes on Harp: CG.

1) It's still in an Beta state. What this means in computer lingo is that the software is ready to be used but it's not stable. There still exist the possibility of bugs. Actually there are a few known bugs that I have not been able to fix, however they do not cause any problems for the software. They are simply glitches that are kinda "weird". The first glitch occurs when you finish making a new character sheet. In order to see the Character Window you need to resize the main window. Once you do that you should see your Character sheet appear. Another "glitch" is that in the New Level Wizard none of the controls resize appropriately. This doesn't effect the program, just the way it looks. Software usually lasts in a beta state for a bit until the software is stable "enough" to graduate. It is normal to release software while it's a beta state. In fact this is standard operating procedure. The idea is to simply get more heads to use the software and to test it on different environments. The more people who use it and report issues, the more stable it gets.

2) There also might exist gaming issues. For example I may have something wrong when it comes to the rules or I may have missed something entirely. If that is the case sending an email to chrisklecker@yahoo.com is good or reporting it here is good as well, but since I check email more than I check forums, sending a copy to my email is a good way for me to get it faster.

3) This .exe is for Windows users only. The reason for this is because I do not own a Mac or a Linux box in order to compile Harp: CG under these environments. If someone who is familiar with wxWidgets/C++ and has a Mac or Linux box is willing to work on compiling this application under those environments that would be awesome! I can help you get setup on your machine so that things will be easier to port over. This shouldn't be a daunting task. Again, wxWidgets is meant to work on most operating systems with very little changes here and there. Given that I have used native controls exclusively, I don't anticipate this part taking very long.

If there are any questions by all means ask away. I'm hoping this program can grow as the Harp community grows.

Mando:
First, thanks for all your efforts!

(it looks like the .exe installer file (3.66 Mo here) can't find any file during the installation process (message is: Error opening file for writing, file x) starts with missing bmp's, then xml files, etc.) In the end, I had to abort install. FYI, Win 7 64 bits here. Install dir changed to (program files (x86)).

It worked fine with the default path, anyway.

DavidKlecker:
That's weird. I tried installing on my laptop which is a clean install and I didn't get any errors of missing files. I even tried changing the default path and I still got it to go through. the install file is a kinda of "self-extracting" file. All files should be a part of the main .exe install file so I'm not too sure why it would complain about missing files. But I guess it did. :(

If anyone else has an issue with the install file let me know.

DavidKlecker:
I have created a repository for the code at the following URL

http://code.google.com/p/harpy-harp/

and yes, I have named the application Harpy. I found it whilst doing a search on mythological creatures and laughed at the coincidental name of this one creature. Unfortunately I think someone already snatched Harpy, but I called it Harpy all the same. :)

I have also move the install file over to this link->

Harpy

CuChullain:
Looks good so far - Excellent work.

Not sure if you're wanting us to report issues here, but:

Bit of an issue around saving: if you create a character and save, then create a new one and save again, it over-writes the previous character. I'd have thought the first save of a new character would be the same as doing a "Save As" for an existing one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version