Author Topic: Variant rules for stun  (Read 690 times)

Offline Giovanni81

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Variant rules for stun
« on: May 22, 2022, 01:31:25 AM »
I find stun too punishing and in my HARP campaign I house-ruled this way:

The only consequence of the stun status is the impossibility to transfer OB to DB.

I found it quite balanced, it's not irrelevant nor excessive since you have the choice to continue to fight.

If I will return to RM I will use this houserule also for RMU/RMX or any variant of the system.

I wonder if someone else has created house rule about stun and how to make it less fundamental.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Variant rules for stun
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 06:01:14 AM »
I've never played HARP. Is the stun penalty different than RM2?
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 08:25:10 AM »
From HARP 2 Fantasy : target may not attack, but can parry at half OB. Other manoeuvers are at -50 if they require a roll. Possibility to avoid being stun by making a stamina-based RR, beating 100 + 10*nb rounds of stun.

I don't see that much of a difference, except for the RR.

The main difference between HARP 1 and HARD 2 is the value to beat on the RR (lower base for HARP 2, but higher modifier per #rounds of stun).

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 11:32:52 AM »
In RMU, when stunned you take a penalty to all actions (-50 for Stun[-50] but potentially could be -25 or -75), need to make a mental focus maneuver to maintain concentration, and foes gain a +20 bonus to hit you, but aside from those things you are free to take any action you want. It does not prevent you from attacking or defending.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
In RMU, when stunned you take a penalty to all actions (-50 for Stun[-50] but potentially could be -25 or -75), need to make a mental focus maneuver to maintain concentration, and foes gain a +20 bonus to hit you, but aside from those things you are free to take any action you want. It does not prevent you from attacking or defending.
I like the change (yay !). I will probably use it next time, with a little tweak - the default stun effect is -25, but the modifier is cumulative (so if you're stunned for 3 rounds and, in the next round (where you are at -25), are stunned again for three more rounds, the modifier becomes -50 until the first stun effect expires. I don't know if the accumulation is a thing in RMU (might not be since stun modifier ranges from -25 to -75 with -50 being standard), but I like the idea.

As a side note, the change makes stun effects less powerful, and, as such, more usable in a "select your wound effect" crit resolution mechanism that was discussed earlier.

Offline Giovanni81

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
I like RMU rule also.
Suggestion: make RMU full of optional rules like RMC or D&D 5e.
One good thing about D&D 5e is this: if you buy the Dungeon Master Guide you multiply the number of games you have. There are very game-changing variant like Slow Natural Healing or Gritty Realism or Spell Points. For each combination of those variant you obtain a entirely different game experience.
Also RMC was this way though a bit less.

One possible option is: penalty for stun equal to -25.
Another option is: attacks as maneuvers discussed earlier.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 01:00:16 PM »
I don't know if the accumulation is a thing in RMU (might not be since stun modifier ranges from -25 to -75 with -50 being standard), but I like the idea.

They do accumulate. If you have, for example, 2 rounds of Stun[-75], 2 rounds of Stun[-50], and 2 rounds of Stun[-25], you will suffer the -75 effect for the first two rounds, then two rounds of -50, then two rounds of -25. Highest penalty goes away first, penalties do not add. Stun durations from criticals tend to be shorter than in previous editions.

This basically replaces Stun, Stun No Parry, and Must Parry.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 11:42:05 PM »
I don't know if the accumulation is a thing in RMU (might not be since stun modifier ranges from -25 to -75 with -50 being standard), but I like the idea.

They do accumulate. If you have, for example, 2 rounds of Stun[-75], 2 rounds of Stun[-50], and 2 rounds of Stun[-25], you will suffer the -75 effect for the first two rounds, then two rounds of -50, then two rounds of -25. Highest penalty goes away first, penalties do not add. Stun durations from criticals tend to be shorter than in previous editions.

This basically replaces Stun, Stun No Parry, and Must Parry.
Oh, there is accumulation in *duration*, not in *intensity*. I was thinking about accumulation in intensity, which is why I was using -25 as the default stun modifier.