Author Topic: Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?  (Read 15327 times)

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »
Like some of the others have said. We use a mixed game with some elements of RM2/RMC and RMSS/FRP. Each edition just did certian things a little better than the other one in our opinion. So we take each of them use the ones we like and make a game of it.

As to which one is the one we use the most? I am not sure I would error on the side of saying RMFRP is the one we take the most idea's from.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Griffonbait

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 05:38:54 AM »
It would be interesting to know the split between RM2 and RMC.

I am glad to see RMSS/RMFRP is right up there.

But the current total of 68 votes just doesn't cut the mustard to give any real indication of anything.

Come on guys, don't just view this topic ---->>> VOTE!!!!

Cheers,
Griffonbait

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2007, 05:02:22 AM »
For me it's RMSS. It was the only RM product(s) I could buy at the time. Evidently it was around the time when the old ICE went bust.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »
All right, compared to the number of people registered here 70 is not that much but I think it's a pretty good number of voters, isn't it? And HARP has a big (and great) community so, maybe not everyone is still playing Rolemaster or never has. I for one could not vote at the moment, though I could when I did, as I'm only playing HARP only at the moment, but am enjoying it immensely.

Nice to see that the distribution of Rolemasterians is so even.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
Yeah, a break down of RMC vs. RM2 would be nice.  ln addition, how many people play a strange hybrid of RMC/SS/FRP/2/X?  I just returned to ICE and am playing a purist RMC game right now.
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »
Well, ever since we started RM2, we've never been playing a pure version of anything. RMSS/RMFRP got some stuff from RM2 and even HARP, which we are playing now, has some aspects of RM in it, if only the equipment tables. ;) However, I don't mind, everything works extremely fine.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
My games are basically RC2 with some things brought in from RMSS. Mostly some of the task tables. Plus a few houserules.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline skathros!

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »
Great poll! I'll admit I'm a little taken aback by the break down of the results. I thought RMSS/FRP would be higher when compared to RM2/C.

What i'd like to see is how HARP fares when put up against these two (a recent trip to my FLGS saw me buying all the HARP stuff they had...now I'm curious as to how well it's doing).

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 09:03:14 AM »
Started with MERP then RM2 for a few years (+ all companions and a lot of house rules).
After that I switched to RMSS and kept it since then. Never had a look at RMclassic or HARP.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »
Started with MERP then RM2 for a few years (+ all companions and a lot of house rules).
After that I switched to RMSS and kept it since then. Never had a look at RMclassic or HARP.
Ditto except for the RM2.  I went from Merp to RMSS/FRP
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »
Voted RMSS.

First exposure was the 1980 Arms Law (which I still have) but never used it.

First real exposure was the 1986 edition of MERP which is the only time I played instead of GM (Dwarf Warrior, Dwalin son of Balin; creative huh?).

Bought RM2 and companions all at once through a catalogue only to have RMSS come out a little more than a year later.  Liked RMSS much better; hated the old Spell Gain mechanic among other things.  Bought everything the FLGS ever got in.  Used it to play in MERP again since the MERP books included RMSS stats for everything.  I GM'd; game was set in the 4th age but the destruction of the One Ring only caused the other rings to weaken, not fade away entirely so they were all still around (except the Dwarven rings are still gone; actually I had one survive but we never got to that part).  One of of my favorite campaigns ever though we never came close to finishing it (i.e. resolve all the stories/adventures I had planned out).

jolt

"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »

Voted and running RM2
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »
I have updated the poll to include more options, and set it so that you can recast your votes if you like.

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 12:08:57 AM »
Only 2.5% of voters played RMSS or RMFRP?? Seems hard to believe.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2008, 04:51:53 AM »
Only 2.5% of voters played RMSS or RMFRP?? Seems hard to believe.

I read 42.5%

Edit: Oh! now I see what you mean!  :-[

Seems strange to me to have an option for RMSS+RMFRP and then other two for just RMSS and RMFRP...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
the percentages also don't calculate right in polls where you can vote more than once.

Rasyr took Vroom's poll and added more choices per reply #53 above.

The original poll offered 3 options:

RMX
RM2/RMC
RMSS/RMFRP

the "mix" bit, and the later options, were added by him April 19, while the main poll had been open since october. . .so the 51 votes for "RMSS/RMFRP Mix" likely reflect the original poll idea of "RMSS and/or RMFRP".

Rasyr allowed for people to remove their vote and re-vote, but the vast majority of the current votes pre-date his change of the poll and reflect the original meanings.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 02:05:05 AM »
I currently play in a RM2 campaign w/ abit of RMFRP added for options that my GM desires to use for his campaign world.If n' when I end up running a RM campaign it'll be RMX then RMC with what-ever options fit my world n' campaign style.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline grendal72

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
I started with MERP then went to RM2 with lots of companion rules additions (mostly 1 and 2).

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »
My group plays a pretty much pure RMSS camapign.

Having started with MERP in the mid 80's and progressing to RM through its various incarnations, we like the expanded skill system and enjoy the complexity. We introduced RMSS/RMFRP to a player who had never seen RM before and as long as you have other people 'fluent' with the rules, its not hard.

Offline avatar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »
It seems to me that the difference between RMSS and RMFRP is the most fuzzy. What exactly is the difference between them? It seems to me that RMSS is intended to be generic, spread across multiple genres, while RMFRP came out after RMSS and uses the same system, but focused on Fantasy?

I have 3 RM2 softback books (the ones with a red border on the left side). Character Law/Campaign Law, Spell Law, and Arms Law. I bought these at Half-Price Books a couple years ago and they seem pretty complete and self-contained. Now I read the post by the admin that lists the primary differences between RM2 and RMFRP, and it seems the single biggest difference is the number of skills available. RMFRP has hundreds, while RM2 only has a couple dozen. That and the way skills are handled/developed seem to be the biggest difference.

So my question is this: is there a book out there, or a fan-made guide, that would explain to me how new skills are created for RM2? I don't want to go through a lot of trouble figuring out how they are balanced, I just want as many skills for RM2 as there are for RMFRP. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks!