Author Topic: counter and conflicting spells  (Read 2144 times)

Offline r0bperry2953

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
counter and conflicting spells
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
I run a RM2E game, now called Classic, and have problem determining for my players an area of effect for counter spells. As per SL any spell that is counter to or conflicts with another spell will cause a RR vs. the attack level of each spell. The winner being the spell that stands. The problem I am having is my players seem to think that a counter spell will only affect a spell where it overlaps the area of effect, and not counter the whole effect.

Ex1: Wall of Fire is countered by Wall of Water. Both have an Area of Effect (AOE) of 10'x10'6', but if one had a larger AOE due to spell casting, item, or ability, would they still fully counter each other.

Ex2: Light 10'r spell from Light Law can be countered by Dark on the same list.

On each example I told my players that if the spell was cast to counter the existing spell then it goes spell vs. spell. But in the case of spells like light vs. dark, and unless they were cast directly on each other, then they would have a fringe effect and then only the overlapping areas would be effected, such as a Thief using a ring of darkness in a magicly lit room ???. As you might guess this has caused an argument of an all or nothing mentality.

So my question is simple, do I go with an all or nothing ruling, keep things as I have just stated, or am I wrong and there is a whole other way to handle this?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: counter and conflicting spells
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »
IMHO keeping things as just have stated makes much sense.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: counter and conflicting spells
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
I would say that as long as the countering spell covers the majority (i.e. more than 50%) of the other spell's area, then you should make it go spell vs spell.

If the overlap is less than that, then go with the fringe effect you described.

As GM you can change or alter the rules in any fashion you like. However, what is important is that you are consistent in your interpretation and implementation of those rules.

On your part, this likely means writing out when each applies and then making sure that you stick to it. And it is quite alright to ask the players for input as well (they may have better ideas or a better rationale for why something works a certain way).

It is important, IMO, that everybody knows of any changes you make to the rules before you implement them though.