Forum > The Guild Companion e-zine

Guild Companion October 2009 (Issue 128)

(1/10) > >>

NicholasHMCaldwell:

Greetings from the Guild Companion,

The October issue (#128) is now available at http://www.guildcompanion.com

In this month's issue, we have an essay on the social implications of the Mystic's base lists, seven real-world martial arts styles statted up for Rolemaster, a variant set of profession-less rules for HARP, and editorial thoughts on Something Wicked, TGA#4 and the state of Rolemaster.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

munchy:
I really enjoyed reading the editorial of this edition. The progress information on Something Wicked was - again - very nice to read and raised my interest in that product even more. Hope it makes it for Christmas ... maybe.
I have to say, however, that the "rant" on Rolemaster was really something. As an addition one might say that there should maybe also be an alliance of RM and HARP gamers to support both lines and strengthen the company together. A future option might also be to combine RM and HARP in the next edition step. Quite a few people have mentioned that they like the skill system of RM and the spell system of HARP for example. And RM has always offered options to choose from, something I always though made it better than all the other systems on the market.

Thom @ ICE:
Profession-less HARP - Excellent article, though my hesitation to implement is based upon a single stat being used as the key for a skill category.  It opens the door to some abuses.  The limitation of skill development per level based upon stat was a real nice touch - one I had not really considered.

Taking this the extra step - set the development cost based upon the combined of the two stats.
0-40 costs 4
40-60 costs 3
60-90 costs 2
90+ costs 1

Each skill then sets it's own cost based upon both stats it uses - and there are no longer any favored categories.
This now expands skill costs from 2 to 8.

Make the max per level using the reverse.
0-40 max at 1
40-60 max at 2
60-90 max at 3
90+ max at 4

If both of your stats for a skill are 90+, then you can build up to 8 ranks for a cost of 16DP, or you can use those same 16DP on a skill where your stats are both less than 40 and only get 2 ranks....

Otherwise - I really like the article, just my tweak on it....

Marc R:
I could see setting 2-3 stats to 91, then spending half DP on skills in that narrow tranche, while spending the other half of DP on raising the other stats to 91, expanding your scope as each stat clears 91. . . .some stats are more skill used than others (so at 4 stats over 91, more than half the skills would be 1 costs).

Being able to spend 1/rank on skills means that compared to Core harp, you'd be able to spend half your DP on your 1 cost skills while spending the other half on stats, with a net result of having the same amount of overall ranks as the core character spending 2 dp/rank and not raising stats. . .once you got all stats over 90, you'd be taking each level equal to 2 levels core when you stopped buying stats.

Thom @ ICE:
Every HARP skill uses 2 stats - therefore if both stats were at 91 then it would cost 1 DP per stat for 2 DP per rank in the skill - the same as favored categories currently get.

The real impact is on the low side where it noe costs at most 4, my proposal expands it to 8 which I have heard from RM fans is a weakness of HARP (too limited in skill costs)

If done this way then for a training package you simply apply a reduction of 1 DP per rank

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version