Author Topic: More detailed maps of Gryphon World?  (Read 6872 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
More detailed maps of Gryphon World?
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
Is there a more detailed map of Mithra/Gryphon World than given on page 16 of Cyradon? Or perhaps even a larger size version of the same map?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: More detailed maps of Gryphon World?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »
Sorry, no, that was the only map done of the entire world. ICE might have a larger version of it around someplace though - I am not sure.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »
Perhaps a fan initiative could be put in place to flesh out some of the out of the way places that I.C.E. doesn't plan to work on?  Maybe it can be "unofficial" but still worthy to those who play in the setting.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:54:48 AM »
I believe that janpmueller was going to work on a Cyradon-wiki that would hold exactly this.
I'm assisting with this.

Its still a work in progress but I thought it would be a good idea.

Still need to sort out copyright issues (ie people posting swathes of text form Cyradon book isnt allowed, only fan based material, etc...)

But this is exactly the sort of thing that would be addressed in this. "Blow up" the map and add heaps of "little details" in. - this would be allowed as long as the actual area wasn't displayed on the map, but, for example, showing city layouts of Janiel capital, forgotten city of the Narsi on the edge of the devastation, etc... would be allowed as they arent canon, just Fan based places. Peolpe creating their own Necropolis and Colluseum would be allowed to as there are no canon materials. (If you published something on the wiki BEFORE ICE published any module then your not breaching their copyright, just creating a fan based, non-official, alternative...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:04:15 AM »
Yeah, we were thinking about that, but - as jason pointed out - it was important to us to not step on ICEs toes, so I asked Rasyr what he thinks of the plan. Still waiting for an answer, which I interpret as a good sign (I'm an optimist - him taking long to answer MUST mean that they are getting legal advice to present us with a fully fleshed out answer :) ).

I always like the threads in the Cyradon forum where people exchange ideas about places and regions, creating the world with their posts... a Wiki would be SO nice.

:D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:15:20 AM by janpmueller »
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:50 AM »
ICE is considering the wiki idea -- it is interesting, but we feel that we have things to work out in regards to it (that and we are so busy that things sometimes take a while to get through everything).

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
ICE is considering the wiki idea -- it is interesting, but we feel that we have things to work out in regards to it (that and we are so busy that things sometimes take a while to get through everything).

Great news! I'm very happy to here you're considering, I had a wee little fear that a general "no, copyright can't be handled" would happen. All is good. :)
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:32:08 AM »
I think it's a great idea! Another great resource to use! I hope ICE is able to give the OK!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:48:01 AM »
Perhaps someone can submit an idea for a new Gryphon World book to I.C.E. and give us another setting book.  I think some of the Shatterings Islands could be fleshed out more, and several of them are fairly close to Cyradon, to make them a good choice for a next product.  Maybe one of the islands has a high population of Dwarves and Dwarf sub-races.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »
Perhaps someone can submit an idea for a new Gryphon World book to I.C.E. and give us another setting book.  I think some of the Shatterings Islands could be fleshed out more, and several of them are fairly close to Cyradon, to make them a good choice for a next product.  Maybe one of the islands has a high population of Dwarves and Dwarf sub-races.

Ohhhhhh....
I like that!
 ;D
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline masque1223

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:57 AM »
I think some of the Shatterings Islands could be fleshed out more, and several of them are fairly close to Cyradon, to make them a good choice for a next product. 
I don't yet have anything fleshed out enough for a product, but as has come up recently in my campaign, I've been filling the islands between Cyradon and Anias with pirates.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »

I don't yet have anything fleshed out enough for a product, but as has come up recently in my campaign, I've been filling the islands between Cyradon and Anias with pirates.

:o
Are you kiddin'!?

So have I!!!!
www.strategypage.com

Offline masque1223

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
So have I!!!!
I figured since the Veil went down after the Ritual of Estrousal, more people fleeing the Theocracy's wars would head south, and piracy is a natural path for supplying them.  It also gives me a good excuse to incorporate more Anias people into the Cyradon milieu, as well as give a possible recruiting bed for if/when the refugees decide to organize and retake their homeland back.

I'd also been reading lots of historical material on piracy and how pirate communities were organized on pseudo-anarchist grounds, so I'm using a lot of that, too. 

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »
I figured since the Veil went down after the Ritual of Estrousal, more people fleeing the...

Well, my background of it is different than yours, but it's kinda neat we were thinking the same general thing about the same area... although there's not a lot to do with a bunch of islands :D
www.strategypage.com

Offline masque1223

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
It's a side element to my main plot.  The main plot I'm in the early stages of has to do with the refugees uniting with the Nagazi and Nagaral against the Nagah, who are getting more dangerous as the Black Dragon unites their tribes and brings them under his will.  As it stands right now, the pirates will be information and equipment brokers, and possibly minor reinforcements.  If we get through the epic lizardmen storyline and don't take a break from HARP to play something else, then the pirates will take more of a center stage role in the next major plotline, which will be the retaking of Anias, or at least the conquered territories, from the Theocracy.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
Don't forget about the Aoifar (Lion/Centaurs) that live on the shatterings as well.

It would be cool to see some of the races from the HARPer's Bazaars in there somewhere, as well as some new strange races. 

I've kind of kicked the idea around that the race of Elves that disappeared from The Forest of Ischea found a Royal Road that lead to one of the Shatterings, and they are the only Elf race on that island.

I want to see more Dwarf sub-races, and other stranger races, so maybe I might submit something to I.C.E. if I get the guts to do it.  I'm doing some Cyradon "research" now.  hehe. 

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »
Then don't forget about --[Dead Link Removed by Admin] -- which gives a good bit of background not found in the core book.

I figured since the Veil went down after the Ritual of Estrousal, more people fleeing the Theocracy's wars would head south, and piracy is a natural path for supplying them.

Actually, the Veil went down (several months, IIRC) BEFORE the refugees went to Belynar, and the Ritual of Estrousal was after the refugees arrived in Belynar.

As for folks "fleeing south", the Theocracy owns everything from Tarahir south to the Dwarven lands.And there are very few, if any settlements east of the Juras Mountaints. At least very few who will run from the Theocracy, once it tries expanding that way.

And don't forget, anybody who is fleeing from the Theocracy, who enters a location with a Royal Road in it finds the Road activating and taking them to Belynar. Sometimes it is almost as if folks were being sheparded to those locations....

In addition to the large land masses that make up the Shatterings, there are also likely a large number of smaller islands and archipelagos.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:52:30 AM by Thom @ ICE, Reason: [Dead Link Removed by Admin] »

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 04:04:40 AM »
Masque1223 and RWW :
Well, my background of it is different than yours, but it's kinda neat we were thinking the same general thing about the same area... although there's not a lot to do with a bunch of islands

You two should write something !

Rasyr :
And don't forget, anybody who is fleeing from the Theocracy, who enters a location with a Royal Road in it finds the Road activating and taking them to Belynar. Sometimes it is almost as if folks were being sheparded to those locations....

Is somebody preparing for a retaliating blow over there ?
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 06:23:11 AM »
Don't forget about the Aoifar (Lion/Centaurs) that live on the shatterings as well.

I haven't  ;)
I have them on the larger islands and have something special about/planned around them. The PC's know of them through interrogations of captured/surrendered pirates, but have yet to actually meet them. Considering the way the pirates treat the Aoifar (raiding, pillaging, hunting) they will at the least be suspicious of the PC's at first meeting. And of course the pirates had nothing good to say about the Aoifar to the PC's and may have even biased the PC's thoughts about them!
www.strategypage.com

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
Sounds like there will be plenty of hides being taken, and then apologized for afterwards... "Uh... sorry I killed your brother, and your grandfather.  I know you guys are nice guys now."   ;D