Author Topic: Combat Companion: Legsweep  (Read 2104 times)

Offline VortexSurfer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Companion: Legsweep
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:10:47 AM »
Hi,

I recently built a new combat style using the rules from the Combat Companion, and after choosing "Legsweep" as one of the available maneuvers for the style (I thought kicking the legs out from under a foe would be fun) I realized I don?t understand how this attack really works. In the rules it says:

The character makes a normal attack. Instead of the normal critical, he does an Unbalancing critical, and if the attack is successful, the foe will be knocked to the ground and treated as prone for the remainder of the round if he fails an Agility-based Resistance Roll against the number of ranks in the style that the character has.

First of all, there is no Unbalancing critical table in the companion. Does this mean I have to use the old RM-table? And what is a successful attack in this context? One that does a critical, regardless of degree? Or one that scores some hits? And for the RR: You only have to resist against the number of ranks, not against the style total? So, if I?m pretty good and have, say, 30 ranks, which is quite an achievement in my opinion, my opponent only has to resist against 30? If all this would be true, I would not be interested in this maneuver anymore.
Any help would be appreciated.
-- Have Spacesuit, will travel...

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Companion: Legsweep
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:07:55 AM »
First of all, there is no Unbalancing critical table in the companion. Does this mean I have to use the old RM-table?

Yes, use the Arms Law Unbalancing crit table. If you are using the CC Combat system, then use the MA Sweeps crit table.

And what is a successful attack in this context? One that does a critical, regardless of degree?

Yes, one that does a critical.

And for the RR: You only have to resist against the number of ranks, not against the style total? So, if I?m pretty good and have, say, 30 ranks, which is quite an achievement in my opinion, my opponent only has to resist against 30?

Yes, against the number of ranks. You look up, in this example, an attack level of 30 on the RR Table, and cross-reference that against the defender's level. The defender then rolls and adds in his Agility Bonus, and has to beat that number you got from the RR Table.

Basically, it is just like resisting a spell, only your ranks in the style is the attack level.

This would mean that with your 30 ranks, against a first level foe, he would need a total of 110+ in order to keep from being knocked down. Against a 15th level foe, he would need a 65+ to avoid being knocked down.

Offline VortexSurfer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Companion: Legsweep
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:24:30 AM »
Alright.

Rasyr, thx for the quick reply!
-- Have Spacesuit, will travel...