Author Topic: Vacume Power and Stealth  (Read 4003 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Vacume Power and Stealth
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
 Ok I was thinking about vacume power and its ability to tap into and draw power from small particles around it. As SM:P VM says the problem with stealth is you have to emit energy. If vacume energy comes on the scene early in tech 16-18 [I do not have the book right now] why could you not expend energy into the same system you draw it from? ie spread the energy you generate into the particles bending, bouncing, movement, etc.

Thanks
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Vacume Power and Stealth
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
How?
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »
 How? Good Q. How do you tap vacume energy? If you know how to tap it, you might know how to put energy into the system after a few tech levels.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 03:24:17 PM »
I would encapsulate the vacuum energy source in a negative nanoparticle warp field.  While saturation is limited to the size of the warp field, the negative nanoparticles should suppress all energy readings in the area and only be discoverable by  very precise and sensitive sensors.

Techno babble, the fall back of every science fiction game.  

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »
Vacuum energy utilizes virtual particles.  Quantum uncertainty allows a pair of particles to be create as long as they annihilate each other within the period of uncertainty.  So if you strip one of these particles off before they annihilate each other, you force both of them to become real.  You use one or both particles to power a generator.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »
Vacuum energy utilizes virtual particles.  Quantum uncertainty allows a pair of particles to be create as long as they annihilate each other within the period of uncertainty.  So if you strip one of these particles off before they annihilate each other, you force both of them to become real.  You use one or both particles to power a generator.

Thanks it seams I remembered wrong how vacume power worked. I was under the assumption that it taped into the small vibrations of particles to generate energy with in a field.

Back to the thiniking if I want cloaking in my game and how to achieve it using what Tech.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:33 PM »
 Maybe I just solved my own problem. A material that is super termal conductor but it realese its absorbed energy by rotation of its chemical bonds but does not appricably change shape. Sort of like the nanao-moters I just saw on the History channel except the moter is just to bleed off energy. They would have to be symetricly placed in the material so as not to generate any torq.

But the other problem is that it would also absorb high energy like laser, blaster, plasma etc. But I guess I can allways provide a bonus to DB for this material under the ships primary armor or under personal armor.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline DeadBob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
One concept for space stealth I really like is from Mass Effect, where the energy emissions of the ship are captured as heat and stored in "heat capacitors" which are not completely explained, but could be a fluid or solid reservoir which has a high heat capacity. This method provided the Normandy (the ship) a finite duration stealth, and would not work when travelling at superluminal (FTL) speeds.

Something like this would provide stealth with controls to limit the "uberness" of the players' (or even the enemy's!) capabilities.