Author Topic: Resistance Roll modifications for creatures  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Lornak

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Resistance Roll modifications for creatures
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:48:45 AM »
Hallo all!

I have searched the official rules, the forums and other resources but I cannot seem to find an answer to my question. I was recently wondering about resistance roll modifications for...for example dragons. A dragon should have a higher  resistance against Essence, Arcane, maybe Channelling and for sure agains Mentalism. This does not seem to be reflected by the rules. The only thing I found was the stat modifications given in RMC6 (created for RM2), but even that leads to a bonus of +10. Not even speaking of resistances against poisons or diseases. Dragons get +20 to CO (RM2) rules. So I guess they can get ill and even catch a cold.
My questions regards ANY creature.
So should a GM create RR mods for any creature or just take the lvl vs lvl RR? What is the official rule? Does anyone know a resource or did any of you create a table of RR mods?

Best regards,
Lornak

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Re: Resistance Roll modifications for creatures
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:15:23 AM »
I havent really thought about special RR mods for creatures much before now, but at least concerning dragons their description should give alot of hints on what should have an effect, both to a higher and lowe degree.
For magic one could argue that since Dragons are creatures spawned from a good mix of Magic and the Elements they are somewhat effected to a degree. Already They are highly imun by one element (their own) and highly acceptive to another (the opposite). One could been say that elements and spell related to the Dragons core element receive mods from +/- 25 to say 50 depending on how much the spell is related or opposite of the core element of the Dragon.
Modifiers for other spells is again depending on how a GM feel the Dragons nature affect the the resistance to spells in his or her campaign world. In general I think most usually described Dragons as being highly resistant to magic which would justify a mod from 20 and up.
Dragons again being Magical creatures can as far as I remember eat and digest anything of this world and more I would imaging. This leads me to conclude that Dragons are not effected by mundane diseases and poisons, nor one which are forcefully pushed upon them by Magic, which would most like be Channeling.

As for other creatures it is generally up to the GM if there should be a mod or not. I wouldnt personally give additional mods to animals and other natural things unless they are inside or under the influence of an outside force, say nod or curse.
Beings with a civilization or basis for a tradition of magic could have their mods increased or decreased based on how much their pampering with magic of any kind have affected their race as a whole. For instance a highly superstitious culture/race might receive a penalty because of this factor and so on.
Elves for instance are usually described as one with the lands and highly magical which has been interpreted in a way such as their defences are slightly lower.

Basically what I am saying it is up to the GM in the end, also whether or not to make this considerations and calls ...
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:53:37 AM »
My greater drakes have always recieved a base +50 to all rr's, with immunity to poisons, invisibility and illusions.

They are also immune to most directed spells (all natural element bolts and balls).

Higher rr mods may easily be appropriate.  I always considered my +50rr versus all attacks an innate dragonish talent.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 07:47:22 AM »
The Great Drakes creature description in C&M says that dragons are "immune to natural elements ... and highly resistant to spells". The latter indeed indicates some more than usual resistance, without the book ever specifying what exactly this resistance means. Therefore a RR modification of +25 up to +50 might indeed make sense (and perhaps the same modification against magical elements like Lightning Bolts etc.). For other creatures I generally don't add any RR modifier.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 06:37:15 PM »
 Maybe it shoudl be +1-+3 RR bonus per level of the unusual creature. So a 30th level dragon would have +90 in its element, +30 in its opponsing element and +60 in all others.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »
I recall reading this somewhere, but regarding dragons (and other critters), isn't their level representative of how resistant they are to spells?  For example their stats and such might not coincice with 60 levels of development/power yet that is thier given level wrt RR rolls.  As such unless there is some special modifer listed, it is straight level RR.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:57:44 AM »
Yes, that's why we normally don't do any RR modifications at all for C&M creatures.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »
C&M and C&T states that listed stats are for average individuals of the species.

Higher than average stats should therefore result in rr bonuses.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:43 PM »
We just roll those into the increased level of the creature.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 03:50:46 AM »
For greater drakes I give them +30 to all RRs (plus a +15 to their Realm, usually Essence), immunity to the almost all poisons (there are very special poisons that work even on them) and immunity to diseases.
For demons I give a +5 to all RRs/demon's type (+5 for Pale I demons to +30 for pale VI) and a lot of immunities.
For other creatures, I just improvise, usually +0 unless the creature seems particulary strong against a certain threat.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.