Author Topic: Your Advice Needed  (Read 8425 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Your Advice Needed
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »
For me novles provde a great insite into how the author percieves the world and helps me set the tone for adventures. I was going to pick up the novel but I was interupted when I was looking and when I came back to buying it I rushed my purchace and did not pick it up.

I would also think about giving the first 10 pages or so away of the adventure as I think that will likely provide intrest in the product.

As for bad fiction I can agree with people out thier as I have around 500 or so sci-fi fantasy reading books and not all are good. If the product is good it will drive sales if the product is not good it will inhibit sales. So if it is good I might think of giving the first 100 pages away free.

I do not have a problem reading online as I have a large monitor and a good chair for my surgically altered back. In fact I am looking for a PDF of a book right now as the print copy paperback is around $23.00+ and I have to send out of the USA to get it. The seies IMO is not that good but I have book #1 and #3 and would like to read #2 before reading #3.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 05:02:08 PM »
Ulcer's a short story, not an novel, just so if you decide to pick it up you aren't disappointed.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 12:43:09 AM »
If I remember right the price was $2, which depending on the size of the short story could turn people off as a book is $5.99 to $9.99 for a paperback.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 02:54:41 AM »
It's possible.  I believe that's pretty standard, but I've heard of people complaining about that standard before.  :)  I remember when Stephen King Serialized a book online then sold it as a single volume later at standard novel prices there were a lot of complaints.  (This is why I've been hesitant so far to serialize any single story, baring the teasers in the adventures, and that's a different beast.)

Offline Dr. Joe

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »
I have Echoes and I am anxiously awaiting Product 2.  What got me to buy Product 1 was the cover art and the maps so I don't think that helps much.  Having purchased and read about half of it now, it is easily the best product/value that I have purchased from RPGNow, so it automatically sells Product 2.  Having a sourcebook, adventure and maps all in one bundle was a good selling point for me.

I completely agree with this - and additionally point out the immense value of having an author regularly reading and posting here. Two days after posting I had some trouble with the CC3 maps, the problem is fixed. I am amazed - and very satisfied (I work in software. Things like this don't usually happen there...)

Apart from the high quality of the work itself, this type of attention just sold Product 3 to me  ;)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »
Thanks, man.  It helps when your screenshots of the maps arrive when I'm sitting at work with nothing to do and I'm desperate for something to keep me awake (product 3 wasn't quite doing it).