Forum > Spacemaster

Space Master Unified

<< < (2/6) > >>

Hansuke:

--- Quote from: Grimsouled on August 15, 2023, 10:22:02 AM ---Funny, we had already reached that conclusion that the characters could just be RMU. Hadn't thought about using the magic attack tables for the guns... will look into that. The biggest issue we are struggling with are the vehicle attack tables. We've looked thru several different versions and they seem to be all over the place. Any suggestion on which version is best? (We've looked at SM2 Player's Book, Star Strike, & Privateers so far).

--- End quote ---

I have also ooked into just using RMU characters. I started building extra skills; just have to go back to it again. I think I need to sit down and look at vehicles again. I like Star Strike for my basic building blocks, but I like the tech level ideas from Privateers for a more detailed look.

rdanhenry:
You'll need some additional skills, but shouldn't need additional categories, so the profession-building rules should work, though skill costs could be real cheap if you allowed just driving all the magical skill categories to maximum cost. I'd suggest setting Delving, Magical Expertise, Power Manipulation, and Spellcasting at the Fighter's costs (as the archetypical non-magical person) for all science fiction professions. This would allow the Warrior Monk, Rogue, and Laborer to be brought over as is, if desired.

You might repurpose one or more of those categories if your science fiction game is going to use magic psychic abilities.

Grimsouled:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on August 15, 2023, 11:46:48 PM ---You'll need some additional skills, but shouldn't need additional categories, so the profession-building rules should work

--- End quote ---

I agree that the categories will work as is with the addition of skills or specializations to existing skills. Will have to tread carefully on the profession-building rules, too.

So from the earlier post about using the existing tables to make future weapons. Had the idea of using the Fire Bolt table to reflect Lasers. Then, to assign sizes to the different weapons and adjust their damage accordingly. So a Ring Laser would be Size 1, Pen Laser - Size 2, Holdout Laser - Size 3, Laser Pistol - Size 4, Laser Carbine - Size 5, Laser Rifle - Size 6, Heavy Laser Rifle - Size 7...

Hansuke:
As to the attack tables, I think it might be worth taking a look at the tables from Cyberspace. There are only 4 personal armor types (None, LBA, ABS and AEX). There are only 5 vehicle construction armor types also (21-25). There might be some insight to be gained based on this book and how it might be converted to RMU. I just thought about it, and need to review it in more depth though.

Grimsouled:
Another thing plaguing me was how to handle the armor types vs different eras of weaponry. So full plate is AT10, but so is powered armor... vastly different levels of protection, though. How do you reflect that in the game? Give a big DB bonus to the powered armor? but then weapons specifically designed to defeat that armor, say like a plasma rifle, would need a compensatory boost to OB... can get very complicated very quickly and we don't want to go back to that. What I'm liking about RMU is the logical and streamlined way the system has been created.
Something I thought of was to classify weapons and armor in 3 categories which can overlap - Archaic (your standard RMU weapons and armor), Ballistic (solids propelled at high velocity), and Energy (lasers, plasma, blasters, etc.). Typically, weapons will only be of 1 category, but armors can have up to all three. If an armor doesn't protect against a type of attack then it is treated as AT1. For example, take a Kevlar vest, we'll call it AT6 and give it the Archaic and Ballistic categories. So against Archaic and Ballistic weapons it is AT6 but against Energy weapons it's AT1. Similarly, an ablative vest is AT6 Energy so it provides AT6 vs all Energy attacks but is AT1 versus Archaic and Ballistic. Lastly your knightly Plate is AT10 Archaic providing great protection vs Archaic weapons but AT1 vs Ballistic & Energy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version