Author Topic: RMFRP Category for War Law recruiting skill opinions?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMFRP Category for War Law recruiting skill opinions?
« on: May 03, 2022, 10:43:12 PM »
Arguments for recruiting to be categorized as an Influence or Technical/Trade-Professional skill both seem pretty reasonable, but then this stacks one of those categories with two skills relevant to a War Law leader's ratings.

So... any opinions or ideas for other categorization? It's not crucial (obviously) - I've provisionally set it in Influence and it doesn't rankle too greatly...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: RMFRP Category for War Law recruiting skill opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 08:06:01 AM »
My initial thought too was that it would fit into the Influence skill category.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 03:19:22 PM »
I don't have war law, but why wouldn't you just use Public Speaking, perhaps with a recruiting specialization instead? It seems like recruiting is one of those skill bloat skills that might be better off as an existing skill or specialization instead of its own skill.

edit: Castles and Ruins suggests using Advertising, Leadership, Propaganda,
Public Speaking, or Trading for recruitment.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »
I think the number of skills in RMSS is best managed if you assume a given task can be handled by many different skills. Have the player describe how they want to approach the task, based on the skills they have.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
Thanks for the input all. I am not currently running a game, so this is admittedly kind of an "ivory tower" question - it's not driven in this case by player actions unfortunately, so allowing context in play to determine what skill to reference (while a great approach) doesn't quite fit here.   

Good spot on the C&R reference for work force recruitment! And that's interesting too because I imagined that the practice of recruitment would involve some or all of those listed skills in various cases (along with wrestling for the press gangs!)

Thanks again.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 05:51:48 PM »
Good spot on the C&R reference for work force recruitment! And that's interesting too because I imagined that the practice of recruitment would involve some or all of those listed skills in various cases (along with wrestling for the press gangs!)
:idea1: That adds Blackjack, Subdual, and Ambush or Herb/Poison Lore, Prepare Herb/Poison, Use Herb/Poison and Service ;D
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson