Author Topic: Restricted Area Combat  (Read 782 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Restricted Area Combat
« on: April 30, 2022, 10:59:13 AM »
Hello gamers,
I was interested in hearing your opinions as to how many characters you allow to fight in a 10' square, one or more? There's the skill Restricted Area Combat that might help?
Cheers,
DW

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Restricted Area Combat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 12:29:48 PM »
Four medium-size creatures. D&D says so, and it is the Law, right ? :D

(actually, if people are used to fight in close formation and have proper weapons, you could fit more than four in a 10' square. On the other hand, people who base their defense on movement or their offense on using arcing attacks with heavy weapons would be at a disadvantage in that kind of environment).

So the final answer is "it depends", I guess.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 06:02:02 PM »
Hello gamers,
I was interested in hearing your opinions as to how many characters you allow to fight in a 10' square, one or more? There's the skill Restricted Area Combat that might help?
Cheers,
DW
  I'd start out with more than one...if a fight was expected.

I've played close combat rules designed to have characters fight in an area similar to a phone booth (3'x3'x7'). Persian martial arts with a shamshir and buckler is fought literally nose to nose. A shamshir (known as a scimitar to people who don't speak Farsi) is shaped to be used with slices, the blade's edge sliding along the opponent's body the way you'd slice a tomato, instead of chopping with a straight blade.

So...10x10=100 square feet while 3x3=9... so I'd have 22 fighting in a spacious 10x10 room, naked with razors.
I like that image.   
  I have fought with a rapier under nose to nose conditions and people used to standing over 6 feet from an opponent were helpless if they couldn't retreat. 
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 09:01:58 AM »
Hello gamers,
Cheers,
DW

Old school D&D allowed for two rows of combatants. Three across if no one had a 2 handed weapon, and 2 across if one or more used two handed weapons. Second row could use spears to attack over/through the front rank. I don't know how realistic it is, but it's simple so its what I would use.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
RMSS Martial Arts Companion has some rules on restricted area combat. It also assumes a 10' square (or hex field) as the basis for an attack without modifications due to restricted area (to be precise IIRC a radius same as the character's body height is assumed). If less space is available then negative OB modifications come into place, which are based on how much space is given and the type of weapon.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 05:22:08 PM »
Four medium-size creatures. D&D says so, and it is the Law, right ? :D

Yes, I'll go with that rule MisterK.

Vladimir you're on top of the game with the lore on the East. Actually, the foes are of these lands as well , in a MERP game.

Tywyll the AD&D DMG rules!

Ecthelion, I found the Restricted Area fighting, RMSS Martial Arts Companion, in p. 87. A martial arts combatant needs an open area of space around his body with a radius approximately equal to his height to use his weapon without restriction.

Thanks for your answers!

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 07:00:58 PM »
  I must have to add that if you are using a martial art like Jiu Jitsu you are literally wrapping your limbs around your opponent in a grapple then beating them with hands and feet. Look for any video of Royce Gracie and you'll see what I mean.

When you use a MMA style (which is any style to win) like Xu Xiaodong, you will realize that the graceful sweeps and throws are all Hollywood. Xiaodong beats an opponent in seconds with just a flurry of punches. He waged a campaign to debunk martial arts "masters" who claim to have magical powers. He has been so successful that the Chinese government shut down his websites.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu