Author Topic: A questions about training packages  (Read 997 times)

Offline awesomesauce

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A questions about training packages
« on: January 02, 2022, 01:40:20 AM »
Hello. I asked this on reddit and received a few conflicting answers, and someone suggested I give it a go here.

Training packages - can a PC take the same package more than once over the course of their lifetime?

The best answer I got for this is:
1. For lifestyle packages, no. You can only ever have one, and only ever take it one time.
2. For vocational packages, yes. You can take the package over and over again if you wish to.

I am leaning towards this.

Now I know as GM, I can make whatever ruling I like, but I'm just curious what is the 'official' ruling on this is?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: A questions about training packages
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 07:10:19 AM »
Excellent question. We have not allowed taking the same TP twice, no matter if Lifestyle package or not, in the past. But in fact I don't know if there is an official ruling on this.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:01:27 AM »
From RMSS, the wording is "normally, a character can only develop one Lifestyle training package" (section 15.3) - but that's under Apprenticeship skill development section, so it would only be valid for Apprenticeship.

However, in Gamemaster Law, it is said (in section 9.2.3) : "remember that a character can only have one Lifestyle training package at a time" (emphasis mine). It implicitly indicates that you can have several packages over the course of a character's lifetime, and potentially the same one several times.
The caveat is in the technical parts of the training package description, especially the time to acquire (which can be fairly long - Vocational TPs are usually ~20 months, while Lifestyle TPs are 50+). Certain benefits (notably starting money) are only available if the training package is developed during Apprenticeship (RMSS A-6). Even developing TPs after Apprenticeship is subject to GM approval (same section, "gaining training packages later") and no TP can raise a skill above 10 ranks (there are a few exceptions that are explicitly listed).

All in all, I think there are enough restrictions to allow taking the same package several times (for some of them - e.g. Soldier, it even makes sense when you see the benefits), but the time to develop them might be prohibitive in an ongoing campaign and the 10-rank limit will quickly make that kind of development horribly inefficient.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 05:01:56 AM »
For later levels the time to develop might be the limiting factor. For initial character development, though, this might not be a problem. And there I wonder if it should be okay to have e.g. a Fighter pick the Soldier TP three time in order to maximize his OB. I agree that there is no explicit wording (that I knew of) which is prohibiting this. Nevertheless we did not allow this (yet). And I wonder if there is an official ruling anywhere.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 10:42:11 AM »
I wouldn't be afraid of that. If they take, say, 3x Soldier, it means they rally want their character to shine in combat (although they will still need to take additional ranks in Armour to have some kind of defence), and it also means they dedicated more than half (and likely ~2/3) of their level 1 DPs to the Soldier package. They have been part of the military for 78 months at least (6 1/2 years), it's a major part of their background. Why couldn't they have 6 ranks in one weapon skill to show for it (as well as a +10 non-magical weapon) ?
They will be lacking in several other areas and, unless your game is very combat-focused, they will have to make up for it in later developments. In addition, they provide you with a half-competent fighter from the start, which is something the other characters can rely on.

The only downside I could see is if 1) the other players are *not* made aware of that option being available and 2) other players also want to have a character that is very combat-oriented, thus creating potential competition for the spotlight.

But otherwise ? I wouldn't bat an eye.