Author Topic: unpain spells  (Read 631 times)

Offline mrfantastic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
unpain spells
« on: October 15, 2021, 02:21:48 PM »
a character may take his max hits plus his Constitution score as negative hits before dying for sistem shock, does unpain spells bypass this rule? ex. i have 248 hp and 105 constitution score , with unpain 100% i can sustain an additional 248 hp before passing out, but the sistem shock rule stop me at 105, is it correct ?  can i take 248 additional hp than i die for sistem shock ? ..... unpain state that

Caster is able to sustain an additional 100% of their total concussion
hits before passing out, hits are still taken and remain when the spell lapses.

ty in advance

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: unpain spells
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »
I would say that so long as the spell remains in effect, yes, unpain would prevent the character from dying. As soon as the spell ends, though, he would start to die.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 07:22:23 AM »
Considering it's not that hard to have more hit points than your constitution score, thus exceeding it with 100% max. hit points (or even 75%, in fact), such spells would be pretty useless if one couldn't go beyond the -CON limit. However, since these spells merely prevent the character from passing out (thus bypassing the rule that says that a character "passes out due to body shock, once he receives a sum of hits equal to or greater than his concussion hit allotment")  and not from dying (thus NOT bypassing the rule that says that a character "begins to die, if he receives more concussion hits than the sum of total hit points plus his Constitution stat"), I'd start counting the rounds before death from when the limit hits+CON is reached, not from when the character passes out when reaching -100% hits.
In your example, with 248 HPs and 105 (105?!?!  :hm:) CON, whilst you'd only pass out when reaching -248 HPs, I'd start counting the rounds before death (which are 10 rounds, 10% of 105, according to Ch&CL p9) when you reach -105 HPs.
…meaning you'd not merely "start to die" when the spell ends (as Hurin wrote) or you reach -248 HPs, you may just immediately die if 10 rounds (or more) had passed since when you reached -105 HPs… and your stats may have started to deteriorate even.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 06:18:47 PM »
I have always wondered why the unpain spells didn't affect the negatives for being down x% of your hp until unpain true(in RMSS anyway). I am toying with the idea in my game of changing the effect to moving where the minuses start, so unpain I would not have any negatives until hitting 50% of hp and not passing out until -25% CON. That way it helps with the minuses earlier in exchange for using con instead of -hp. I figure I would have to do something otherwise unpain IV would be almost the same as unpain true.

I don't have my RM2 spell law around, but in RMSS unpain true not only allows you to ignore all minuses, but gives you double hp plus con, when that is exceeded there is no passing out or unconsciousness, just death.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson