Author Topic: Darkling  (Read 1437 times)

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Darkling
« on: August 18, 2021, 09:20:35 AM »
Demon Familiar, from Conjuror base list Demon Mastery "....summons a very minor demon, such as a Darkling."

I had a flick through some of the books but I can't find Darklings.

Anyone know what book they are in or generated stats for them?
e crits all round

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Darkling
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
They're not in Creatures and Monsters.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
I don't see "Darkling" listed by that name in the comprehensive creature index in the back of Creatures & Treasures III.

I think the more important part of the spell description is "As Familiar on the Gate Mastery closed Essence spell list". In RMSS, the equivalent spell explicitly defines this as a familiar-type animal (e.g. a cat) that happens to have a demonic type spirit (but no special abilities), and I think that's the intent here.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 12:01:01 AM »
This is a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if they meant 'Dark Wispling' from the Elemental Companion.

Edit: No, I see that the summon was a demon, and the Dark Wispling is an elemental, so probably not.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 04:25:32 AM »
Also, the RoCo. II was published in January 1987 whereas the E.C. was published in January 1989, so it's doubtful the former would reference the latter… ;)

If anything, one should check the books that were released by that time, which are just "The Cloudlords of Tanara" (January 1984), "The Iron Wind" (January 1984) and "Robin Hood" (January 1987).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 04:50:33 PM »
lol

monster hunting in books
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 01:05:15 AM »
lol

monster hunting in books

5gp for the brave adventurer who can capture a Darkling for the Grand Archive to study and catalogue.
e crits all round

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 02:33:28 PM »
Darkling Duck?

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 05:16:19 AM »
Having searched through what RM & ME I could I found no darkling creature.

One 'solution' I've come up with involves the use of Larva from AD&D 1st ed. as a "very minor demon" familiar.
Although it may break size rules, it is a fairly hapless creature and may form a challenge to carry around.

Using the original C&T section on converting AD&D monsters into RM here is my conversion of the Larva from MM 1st ed into RM2.

Larva
Level 1
Base Rate 25' (0)
Max Pace: 1.5
MS: SL
AQ: VS
Size M
Hits 25A
AT 3(0)
Attack: 18Ti

The familiar can be 'upgraded' as spell states demon can "advance in experience."
This involves HR use of spells and rituals to create a Quasit also from MM 1st ed.
e crits all round

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »
The first reference to a darkling in rpgs that I could find was in Ravenloft. Since the RoCo II was earlier, I wonder if it was a mis-translation of something published in the Italian or other European versions? I remember there were a number of RM players from Italy, France, Spain and the Nordic countries back then.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 11:04:26 AM »
As a note, the C&T II mentions at p71, in the "15.4 ARMOR" section, an item called a "Darkling Leather". Since a Darkling was apparently skinned in order to make said armor, I'd suggest the OP to track such an armor, then the guy who made it, so as to ask him where he was able to find this laincursed Darkling! ;D
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
This has been rolling around in the back of my mind since it was posted.  I know we've been looking at the publication date and the books around that time, but I think the Darkling stats were in a book after the publication date.  Sort of "Oops, we got all these questions about a Darkling, here it is."  I have to do more delving.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »
Do you have the RMCII?  If so, you can substitute one of the Spirits' stats for a darkling.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »
maybe the wording "Darkling" is an unfortunate use of the more proper "Demonic/Devilish" ?
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]