Author Topic: Level Bonus Table Option  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Brecco

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Level Bonus Table Option
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
Hello,
I'm very new to the system and I'm having difficulties understanding the 09-07 table in RMC Character Law book. My question is do the numbers in the table (ie +2 to outdoor skills for animist) apply to the d100 roll for the Foraging secondary (for example), or do they increase the rank of Foraging by 2 per character level?
Thank you!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Level Bonus Table Option
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:23:43 PM »
Those are bonuses to the skills not ranks. Using your example, a 10th level character would have a +20 bonus to Outdoor skills in addition to what their number of ranks and attribute bonuses grant them.

I am not 100% sure if those translate to Secondary Skills, though if I was the GM they would/could.

PS: Welcome to the club.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:35:07 PM »
To be clear, I think these are what we call the 'level' bonuses. Professions give bonuses to skills, and the bonus is based on the character level. So, if you take a profession that gives +2/level, you get a special +2 bonus to the skill every level. By level 10, to use RandalThor's example, that bonus would be a total of +20.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Brecco

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:21:05 PM »
That perfectly answers my question, thanks a lot!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 12:04:06 AM »
For the purposes of common sense, I'd say that the skills in the secondary skill table should be affected by the bonuses applicable to the main skills. The problem is that, for the most part, the skills haven't been grouped/defined in a manner that allows easy application... mainly because they are treated as an optional rule.

It's actually a pet peeve of mine with RM2.   For example... Bards. A large proportion of the secondary skills are actually more relevant to Bards than the bonuses received for the main skills... Ie. Music.  Yet they receive NO bonuses for them..  ????

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 08:03:54 AM »
If you use the RM2 Companion II (RM2CII) skill structure, then all skills are made equivalent from that perspective.  On page 102, 11.6 Master Bonus Table there is a set of level bonuses for every class across all skills by category, which is a unification of primary and secondary skills.  This is why I am keen to see the RM2CII be republished - it brings all the skills together for RM2.  (There's another re-unification in RM2CVI, but this is much rarer.)

Some of this is reflected in options in RMC, but I would need to search around to find it.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »
Yes, playing RM2 without the Companion II would be much harder.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 08:56:48 PM »
For the purposes of common sense, I'd say that the skills in the secondary skill table should be affected by the bonuses applicable to the main skills. The problem is that, for the most part, the skills haven't been grouped/defined in a manner that allows easy application... mainly because they are treated as an optional rule.

It's actually a pet peeve of mine with RM2.   For example... Bards. A large proportion of the secondary skills are actually more relevant to Bards than the bonuses received for the main skills... Ie. Music.  Yet they receive NO bonuses for them..  ????
Which is why you play RMFRP, duh! ;-)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 01:23:48 AM »
Which is why you play RMFRP, duh! ;-)

Exactly. ;)