Author Topic: Original MERP Dice  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Original MERP Dice
« on: July 20, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »
I still have the original MERP dice that came with the boxed set I bought a few decades back. They are 20-sided D10's, and the only ones I've ever found. (To be honest, I haven't looked all that hard for new ones.)

These days it seems it's more common to use 2 D10's, with one of them numbered with the 10's digigt and the other the 1's digit, but I find that the D20's just seem to roll so much better.

Also, and I'm sure it's just my imagination, these dice seem to come up with the most appropriate results at the oddest of times. Once, a character used a magic ring that summoned a god to save him when a crit result stated that his spleen was punctured. The god gave him a magical, iron spleen. He went on to get the same crit result 2 more times throughout that character's existence, each time being able to "sluff off" the damage because of his iron spleen. No other character that I recall got that crit result. We all used the same dice back then.

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
Re: Original MERP Dice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
My fellow die-hard MERPers also swear by the 20 sided D10. I still have mine and the original book (held together with tape).

There are small manufacturers producing them https://www.gmdice.com/products/twenty-sided-d10-dice-0-9-twice took about 2 seconds to find

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:51:23 PM »
A few friends also prefer the smoother roll.  My group in college all agreed to use D8/2 instead of the D4 die simply because D4's don't roll.  One friend had the D100 die, but that thing just kept rolling off the table or into the figures.  I only have 1 pair of die that I use for RM faithfully, for all other games, I set that pair aside and use whatever I have around.  I'm just a little superstitious. ;)
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:04:55 AM »
I only have 1 pair of die that I use for RM faithfully, for all other games, I set that pair aside and use whatever I have around.  I'm just a little superstitious. ;)

Also have the twenty sided d10 somewhere in the box. I tended to use the same dice for RM and Call of Cthulhu, so they could get all the rolls out in the right place...

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 09:39:23 PM »
There are small manufacturers producing them https://www.gmdice.com/products/twenty-sided-d10-dice-0-9-twice took about 2 seconds to find

They appear to have only one colour available, sadly (sold out of everything else). But yes, you are not the first to tell me that this type of dice is available, I've just never seen them available at any gaming store I've been to. (Like I said, I haven't looked all that hard, only in passing when I'm at a shop.)

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »
A few friends also prefer the smoother roll.  My group in college all agreed to use D8/2 instead of the D4 die simply because D4's don't roll.

I saw a kickstarter once that was for 12-sided D6 dice.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 10:45:12 PM »
Long ago I was in a car accident, took the car to a shop for repair... and my dice bag (really cool soft two layer leather bag with a coat of arms eagle) with all my dice from all the way back to the early 80's disappeared while in that shop.

I had an old D20 from the D&D Red Box that would rarely roll over 11 (obviously off-weight) that I loved.  We ran in a game where rounds were second by second and you rolled a d20 to see when your next action started.  The GM banned that die.  I miss it.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfwood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »
Hi! New member here. Used to play MERP&Rolemaster back in the 80's/90's and happened upon this forum as I was searching for info on a HARP manual I picked up some years ago from a local store. Seeing this topic, I simply had to register. :D

I'm surprised that someone still has the MERP dice. The ones I got in the box in the 80's seemed to disintegrate pretty quickly (the surface was soft and crumbled away until the dice rolled a little _too_ well).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »
Welcome to the forums Wolfwood!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »
Wait - original MERP had 20-sided d10? Is that even a thing?
Me and several friends had German edition boxes, and they came with a pair of regular 10-sided dice of varying colors.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 08:39:32 AM »
Wait - original MERP had 20-sided d10? Is that even a thing?

Yes indeed: https://chrisbaer.net/mp/2008/06/03/game-artifacts-the-twenty-sided-d10/
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
Original D&D had the same. And a crayon to color in the numbers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203701275916?hash=item2f6d8acd0c:g:uZ4AAOSwcVphlCyi
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »
Hi! New member here. Used to play MERP&Rolemaster back in the 80's/90's and happened upon this forum as I was searching for info on a HARP manual I picked up some years ago from a local store. Seeing this topic, I simply had to register. :D

I'm surprised that someone still has the MERP dice. The ones I got in the box in the 80's seemed to disintegrate pretty quickly (the surface was soft and crumbled away until the dice rolled a little _too_ well).

Mine are still the same shape and size as the day I bought them. Games Workshop edition for the UK market.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 12:32:40 PM »
Original D&D had the same. And a crayon to color in the numbers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203701275916?hash=item2f6d8acd0c:g:uZ4AAOSwcVphlCyi

Wow, that takes me back. I had forgotten those dice. I did remember the crayon though!

Offline Wolfwood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 02:25:58 AM »
Thank you for the welcome, Hurin! :)

Does anyone have pics of their original MERP dice? I must admit I lost mine after they deteriorated and became useless and now I wonder if there were differences between the dice coming with the box set. Mine were rather tiny and - iirc - greyish or bluish in colour.