Author Topic: Beast Mastery Skill  (Read 1011 times)

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Beast Mastery Skill
« on: July 02, 2021, 08:27:27 PM »
I'm revisiting a character I've created and I am wondering how you all handle Beast Mastery skill.
So far I've used broad categories: birds, dogs, horses

Should a tiered approach be introduced for using this skill on more 'difficult animals'?
The 'easier' skill rank capping the more 'difficult' skill rank.

e.g. should a character need ranks in Beast Mastery - Dogs before developing Beast Mastery - Tigers ?
e.g. likewise Beast Mastery - Horses before developing Beast Mastery - Elephants ?

Does this line up with real world animal taming?

I'm looking at then assigning difficulty rating based on the animal itself, resources available and environment.

e crits all round

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Beast Mastery Skill
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
In RMC-II, Beast Mastery is developed for each type of animal as you have been using; dogs, bears, horses, etc. 

"Each specific type group of animal is developed separately." (pg. 25)  In addition, page 88 has a list of difficulty modifiers that may help with your question.

Herbivore + 30
Omnivore +0
Carnivore -30
Non-Intelligent -50
Low Intelligent -10

The list continues with situation (befriended/mothered from birth) and group types.

Avians (birds)
Bovine (cattle, buffalo, deer, etc.)
Canine (dogs, wolves, foxes, etc.)
Equine (all horse types)
Feline (all cat types)

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 11:49:33 PM »
My guess is this skill was inspired by the movie "The Beastmaster" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083630/ from 1982.  Perhaps you could look to it for inspiration (of a sort) on the skill usage.   :D

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 04:56:07 AM »
My guess is this skill was inspired by the movie "The Beastmaster" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083630/ from 1982.  Perhaps you could look to it for inspiration (of a sort) on the skill usage.   :D
I think that was the profession in RoCoII which has magical aids allowing you to communicate with more than one type of animal. Beastmastery skill seems to be more to allow a non-magical character to control a specific animal in a game to reflect a background eg Huntsman or the People of the Cats.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:45:48 AM »

I definitely think that helped to crystalize the class.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 02:43:31 AM »
Thanks all, I think I'll ditch the idea of a tiered system. Under certain circumstances maybe let characters animal handling skill modify roll.

Ahh the Beastmaster movie. I remember that from my early teen years... I'll have to track that down & watch it again.

e crits all round

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 09:23:24 AM »

Ahh the Beastmaster movie. I remember that from my early teen years... I'll have to track that down & watch it again.

It should also probably be noted that the movie was based (very loosely) on the 1959 Andre Norton novel, The Beastmaster. So the trope did exist before the movie, but perhaps not exactly in the most recognizable form.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle