Author Topic: Guild Companion articles and ERA for Rolemaster  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Twistor

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Guild Companion articles and ERA for Rolemaster
« on: May 18, 2021, 01:23:17 PM »
Is it allowed to make ERA-compatible files for free distribution (e.g. in GitHub or the Vault) out of Guild Companion's articles? Particularly interesting ones would be e.g. new professions and spell lists, but also races and cultures.

The articles are mostly OGL, so under that license I believe files like this would count as derivative works, if not even redistributed works, and so I believe they would be allowed. However, as it happens, it's prudent to ask first.
"This here is my invention. A small orb with a tornado trapped inside of it. Magnificent, like a ship in a bottle but with dynamics and power fluctuating inside. Here, you may take a closer look. Just don't drop it or we will all die."
- Vir'alaar the Air Elementalist

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Guild Companion articles and ERA for Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 02:46:25 PM »
I'm not the right one to give a complete answer, but it's certainly fine to submit them to the Vault.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 08:37:29 AM »
I would agree, the vault is absolutely fine.

In terms of making them available outside of the vault, it kind of depends on what it is that is being shared. Iron Crown had a very close working relationship with The Guild Companion so we may have allowed distribution of things that we'd be less comfortable allowing outside of TGC.

If you had something specific in mind, chuck me a DM or email outlining it and I will run it past the brains behind the crown.

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:44:49 PM »
To test this and help create a sharing mod community for ERA using these Guild Companion articles, I've just uploaded to the Vault ERA AttackTable definitions for the following weapons:
  • Ball & Chain - Guild Companion, Apr 2001
  • Bastard Sword - Guild Companion, Mar 2001
  • Cutlass - Guild Companion, Jul 2001
  • Foil - Guild Companion, Aug 2001
  • Footman's Flail - Guild Companion, Oct 2001
  • Footman's Mace - Guild Companion, Nov 2001
  • Great Flail - Guild Companion, Jan 2002
  • Hatchet - Guild Companion, Oct 2001
  • Horseman's Flail - Guild Companion, Nov 2001
  • Horseman's Pick - Guild Companion, Jan 2002

Unpack the zip file and place these in your
Code: [Select]
ERA\RMC\Configuration\AttackTables directory.

I've done some testing, but not extensive game play.

Hopefully they will be approved for download soon.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
Which folder did you save it to? I can see it when I search but I can't seem to find it when browsing through the files.

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 12:47:04 AM »
My apologies, I should have included that information.  I thought I put it in "Utilities (RM2/C)", https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=cat142 as that seemed most appropriate, but it is not showing up there.

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 12:56:47 AM »
A search reveals this link https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=item957, but no download.  I guess it is because the download has not been approved.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 07:09:35 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It appears I don't have the permissions to approve things. I will have to ask someone else to do it (or give me permissions).

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »
This is amazing work! Thanks!
Colin, let us know once we can access it.

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 04:15:36 AM »
There doesn't seem to have been an approved upload to the Vault since January 2020.  What do people think if I make these files available in a separate Github download as in interim measure?

For those interested, the conversion was done from the PDFs exported as a spreadsheet, using a bit of python scripting and hand-editing to add the text.  This was certainly easier than making them totally by hand.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 07:38:48 AM »
So it would appear approving things in the vault and generally making changes to the vault is unnecessarily difficult. As such, I'm now working on making vault items and old Guild Companion items available for download via the website. Given the number of items, this might take some time but I'm happy to put these files in there if you could send them over to me... Actually I can download them from the vault if I search for them.

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 06:09:53 AM »
@Colin:  That sounds excellent as an improved approach.  The many of us who are missing the Guild Companion thank you for your efforts!

Let me know if you need me to re-send the files.

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
The AttackTables files for the Guild Companion weapons above have been uploaded to the Iron Crown discord server, in the era-for-rolemaster channel, as a temporary measure.