Author Topic: Giant lamprey/slug type bite attack thoughts?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Giant lamprey/slug type bite attack thoughts?
« on: March 30, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »
I'm trying to decide what attack charts to use for a creature I'm making. It attacks by inverting its throat and shooting it out at a target. The resulting tube is filled with teeth that will hook and then grind on the victim as it gets pulled back into the creature. I can see several different ways to play this on the existing charts, but I'm curious what others would do.
My first thought is to use a Grapple/grasp/envelop attack, and if that's successful then next round it gets a Bite attack. But the latter could equally be a Crush, or a Claw attack. Alternatively, after the G/G/E attack, it could just be "special" and cause bleeding like a lamprey in C&T. This creature is going to be Huge, though, so it really will engulf and "just" bleeding seems inappropriate.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Giant lamprey/slug type bite attack thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:48:07 PM »
Maybe a Grapple attack with extra slash crits.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 06:45:49 AM »
The Grapple/Grasp table has a pic of a giant squid so that table immediately jumped into my mind.  The first attack would determine if the target was successfully grappled/enveloped.  on subsequent turns, you can start applying Krush or Puncture crits or use the Bite table with an attack bonus as the target is already trapped in what would be the mouth of the creature.

(Very cool creature idea, btw!)

Just saw a bit on the news of a swimmer attacked by an octopus!  What perfect timing.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »
Though I dropped this idea for the creature I'm building, I do like the attack type and plan to use it elsewhere. I like the Grapple followed by major Bite attack. (For what it's worth, I'm making a variant on the mythological or Other Game salamander. It now has a really rapacious larval form, and a much less common adult form. It was the larval form I was building this attack for.)

The Grapple/Grasp table has a pic of a giant squid so that table immediately jumped into my mind.  The first attack would determine if the target was successfully grappled/enveloped.  on subsequent turns, you can start applying Krush or Puncture crits or use the Bite table with an attack bonus as the target is already trapped in what would be the mouth of the creature.

(Very cool creature idea, btw!)

Just saw a bit on the news of a swimmer attacked by an octopus!  What perfect timing.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.