Author Topic: Divisions of "Lores"  (Read 757 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Divisions of "Lores"
« on: March 07, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
One of the most important lores in RM is Herb Lore, the rules have this under Technical Lore, but an Animist cost is 2/6 where General is 1/3. Should herb lore be moved to general? 2/6 is way to expensive for an Animist to learn Herb lore (in the old rules the cost was 1/2).

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Divisions of "Lores"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
Not sure which version you are asking about, but since 2/6 is the RMSS/RMFRP cost I will assume RMSS. You have to remember that the animist also has herb lore as an occupational skill, so you will get three ranks for 2 dp and 6 for 8 dp.

I went looking in my copy of RM2 to find if it's cost was 1/3 and didn't find herb lore or herbalism at all.(It has been awhile, I forgot how mind-numbingly bad the layout and formatting was!)
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
The cost for an Animist in RM2 was 1/2. Rolemaster Companion II is where the main charts for the skill system are (since more skills had been added to the core by that point).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 09:56:51 PM »
In RM2 different printings of the same book can have different values, the most notorious is the Ranger in which the GM I played with said there were about six different versions.

There is a huge difference in the skill system between RM2 and RMSS and while you can use the spells from RMSS in RM2 (and I know a lot of people that do) they do not use the professions without modifying them.

Also as a general note RM2 and RMSS have about the same number of skills one you add in quite a few of the RoCo's and other books, it can be tough to add new skills into RM2 vs RMSS do to how the DP system of the two games differ.

MDC

P.S. In the future you may want to include the version and or post in the relevant RM section (Rm2/Rmss/RMU when available) as there are differences in how things are done.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »
Not sure which version you are asking about, but since 2/6 is the RMSS/RMFRP cost I will assume RMSS. You have to remember that the animist also has herb lore as an occupational skill, so you will get three ranks for 2 dp and 6 for 8 dp.

I went looking in my copy of RM2 to find if it's cost was 1/3 and didn't find herb lore or herbalism at all.(It has been awhile, I forgot how mind-numbingly bad the layout and formatting was!)

I am talking about currently using RMSS. In the past I used RM2 Companion II and the animist has the best herb lore cost. What is an occupational skill?

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 11:37:26 PM »
Your profession and race -- in RMSS -- may define certain skills as Restricted, Everyman, or Occupational. If you pay the DP for one rank in an Everyman skill, you receive two ranks. If you pay for one rank in an Occupational skill, you get three. Restricted skills, on the other hand, require you to pay for 2 ranks to get 1.

So, Everyman skills may be developed more cheaply and more ranks per level than regular skills, and Occupational skills even more so. Sometimes the system will give those boosts when a single skill should be easy for you to learn (e.g. animists and herb lore) rather than decreasing the cost of the entire category.

There was an early printing of RMSR in which those three classifications changed the skill costs rather than working as I just described. I think Markc is referring to that regarding the different printings. But I am pretty sure by the second printing and all subsequent printings it worked as I just stated.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:10:27 PM »
The printing errors I know about are in RM2 and different printings of the same book having different costs for the Ranger DP's in various skills.
A GM I played with had quite a few copies of the books as well as over the years played with quite a few people. When they were making a spread sheet and ask if any of his past players had one he got quite a few and noticed the deviations.
Also in some versions of RM2 Arms Law (I do not know about RMSS Arms Law) there are different values for damage in some charts for the same weapon.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 12:45:19 AM »
The history that done of the evolution of Arms Laws (my goodness, must be over a decade old by now), found that there were no two identical printing. There was at least one tinkerer at the old ICE who was never satisfied. I suspect changes in DP costs were more likely similar tweaks rather than printing errors.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.