Author Topic: 50' per round?  (Read 912 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
50' per round?
« on: March 03, 2021, 12:10:26 PM »
I think RM extrapolates 50'/round walking pace from average miles per hour walking pace, but has anyone tried this out? I can walk about 10' in 5 seconds, so 20'/round walking pace seems more realistic.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 50' per round?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:00 PM »
In most core books there is a chart with movement rates. I do not know off the top of my head exactly what the name of the chart is.

Also rate is moded by some factors so in general every person will potentially walk at a different rate in group.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Eladan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:34 PM »
50'/rd = 300'/minute (in old RM2 rounds). That means that you walk a mile in about 17.6 minutes. An out-of-shape 41-year old runs about 9-10 minute miles [cough.. cough], and high school athletes run between mid-4 to low-5 minute miles.

Unless my math is funky, that seems about right, at least according to the math.
"And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest."

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:20:30 PM »
50'/round (for a 10 second round) is about right for a normal walk. Depending on age and how much of a hurry people are in, a brisk walk is not uncommon, and that's modeled pretty well by 1.5x BMR. A brisk walk uses more energy but if time is more valuable to you than energy, you'll probably walk briskly.

E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_walking_speed  gives 4.6 ft/sec as typical, so that's 46' per (10 second) round.
More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
I think those are pretty accurate. The only caveat I have is that those assume a steady pace and no acceleration -- whereas often in an RPG game, characters are going from standing still to moving to standing still to moving again. Since there are few games that are capable of modelling acceleration/deceleration (it is normally just too complicated), it is probably better to err on the side of slower rather than faster than in-step speeds. Your first 5 seconds of walking are probably going to be a bit slower than your speed once you've hit your stride.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 06:54:21 PM »
There is a pretty good article on this with a revised formula for BMR in the guild companion: movement rate anomalies jul 2012.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:48:08 PM »
There is a pretty good article on this with a revised formula for BMR in the guild companion: movement rate anomalies jul 2012.

Yes, and those too note that RM has been a bit generous with the speeds -- making characters go a little faster than they ought to. So I tend to err now on the side of making characters slower rather than faster (not even taking into account acceleration).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 03:20:39 PM »
If you're talking about moving in the wilderness, here's something I saved years ago for planning hiking and backpacking trips:
  • average hiking pace on uneven terrain is about 2 mph (3.2 km/h)
  • add 1 hour for each 1,000 feet (305m) of vertical elevation gained
  • travel time = (distance traveled/speed) + (elevation gained/1000)
  • Example: A shelter is 5 miles away and has 500 feet elevation gain from our current position. (5 / 2) + (500 / 1000) ~= 3 hours of hiking
If I can find where I first found this info I'll let you know.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 12:22:12 AM »
Wildland firefighters in the US have to do an annual fitness test, and there are three versions. The simplest, the "Light" work capacity test, requires you to walk 1 mile in 15 minutes without any gear. That's 58.7'/round. It's a pretty respectable clip, and would start to wear you down if you tried it for an hour. I think the base rate around 50' is quite reasonable.
(The "Arduous" version of the test is 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45 pound pack on. It's arduous enough that they have medics posted every half mile in case anyone collapses. And the firefighters are fit.)
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.