Forum > ICE News and Discussion

MERP Encounte table/rules doesn't make sense!(?)

(1/3) > >>

Ecthellion:
So I'm re-reading the MERP 2nd edition (tha most awesomest rpg ever made thank you) and I'm stuck at p66-67: Encouters! So I get the point that when moving through the countryside, the GM may want to have a rule to help determine encounters, to make it unpredictable and exciting. But here is what I do not understand: "If the modified avoidance roll is greater than the modified activity roll, nothing happens". Great. So the PC want (probably, most of the time) to have a greater result on their roll than the GM's activity roll - so far so good. But when you look at the modifications on table ST-10, then why the hell does being a small group give a minus? Should it not be easier to avoid encounters with a small group? Same goes with sneaking, minus 50. So if you are a small group of hobbits or elves, sneaking, then according to these rules, you cannot possibly get a higher (greater) result than the GM!?

It totally doesn't make any sense. If the point/goal is to get a greater number than the GM's activity roll, to avoid being noticed/encounters, than surely these values are inverted?

Or have I misunderstood it somehow?

Please help me sort this out cause I want to use these rules or some set of good rules to settle this.

Spectre771:
That's a great point.  One one hand, a larger party means more people are able to detect the baddies and to better avoid them.  But a smaller group should be easier to move stealthily.  I'd like to read the posts from this as well to see what the correct game mechanic is.

Vorng79:
I don’t remember in merp (i don’t touch the manual at least from 20 years) but in rmss table t-5.1 a small group have a + to the avoidance roll. The minus you are speaking is at the activity or avoidance roll?

RandalThor:
Yeah, it looks like they just inverted the numbers. Though, I guess you could just have it a single roll on the Activity side, that way the modifiers could line up.

Aspire2Hope:
Yup in 2ed the stuffed up the table. In 1ed it is reversed to +50 etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version