Author Topic: How to calculate intrinsic cost of bonus items that aren't weapons/armor - RM2  (Read 1790 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
You could improve the ability to hit by making the weapon cut better (e.g. a sharper edge), but OB is more versatile than that. You can parry and convert that OB to DB. So I think generally it's better to think of it as a weapon with better balance, better design, that is easier to move the way you need it to move. Better materials give the smith more freedom to balance the weapon better, you don't need the big heavy blade to be structurally strong enough, you can have a lighter blade of the same strength and put more of that weight into the pommel to balance it out.

That could apply to a shield, too, of course. You want it to be stronger and lighter, although not too light since it needs to have some inertia to block with.

What does the ring do? Presumably you're not actually blocking attacks with the ring. It could make you faster, quicker, more aware of attacks. It could make you harder to see. It could create a force field around you that slows down attacks. I think the issue here is mostly how those bonuses stack. If the ring makes you harder to see, it shouldn't stack with Blur or Aura. If it projects actual force, maybe it shouldn't stack with a Shield spell. Etc. By specifying a particular spell effect instead of a general bonus, you make that explicit.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Main issues are:
item: armor provides a DB bonus thus needs the Armor Enhancement X spells
DB: It is not a skill so General Enhancement X spells do not work
Spells: In general are one of the only ways to provide bonus to DB (yes you could do it in other ways but I will not go into that)

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline OG-GM

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I think magic rings can do whatever they want.  After all they are magic lol.  Why can’t a magic ring increase DB or OB.  I have not seen a rule against it.  Has anyone else?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What does the ring do? Presumably you're not actually blocking attacks with the ring. It could make you faster, quicker, more aware of attacks. It could make you harder to see. It could create a force field around you that slows down attacks. I think the issue here is mostly how those bonuses stack. If the ring makes you harder to see, it shouldn't stack with Blur or Aura. If it projects actual force, maybe it shouldn't stack with a Shield spell.

I think those are good questions, and I like those answers.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Bill Ballbaggins

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RM2: C&T on their magic item generation chart (page 65 of medusa cover edition) have both belt and ring +DB items listed.

RM does offer multiple options for similar bonus items that i've seen = count all bonii, count highest bonus, and a couple of mathematical gymnastic options (half of highest plus lowest or some such).  Something like D&D 3.5 could be helpful where magic armor gives +armor bonus, magic rings give +deflection bonus, etc. and only the highest of each type of bonus will apply.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
RM doesn't go that far, but at least in RMSS and RMU, it's explicit that you can't have multiple instances of the same spell cast upon yourself. You can't have higher and lower versions of the same spell cast upon yourself (e.g. you can't have Dodging I and Dodging III both cast upon yourself). And then there are specific rules for the spells, e.g. Enchanted Leather and Enchanted Robes can't be stacked with each other and also are not cumulative with bonuses from armor, so essentially they are giving the same type of bonus as +DB armor. The Light's Way list notes that none of the Aura spells (including Alkar) are cumulative with each other or with Blur (although this note unfortunately does not appear on every list for which it is relevant), so that defines a class of visual-type defenses that don't stack.

So, for an item that casts a spell or gives you the effect of a specific spell, there is a stacking rule. For a non-armor item that gives you undefined bonus DB, there's not.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
C&T:
Items are fan made and may or many not follow the rules.

Some SW Modules:

The ICE moderator before me who had been around ICE since the early 90s (IIRC) said there was a time they were trying to up SW module sales by putting in more magic items. I think he also said they were trying to be more AD&D like thus tended to not follow all of the official rules.

Q: Can you make a ring that provides a bonus to DB with the armor, weapon or general enchantment spells?
A1: Only if your GM rules that rings are armor then the armor general enhancement spell and rules work.
A2: When looking last night to create a ring the provides an effect to provide a DB bonus of +5 I came across this rule in RMSS SL (I have the book cut apart and in sleeves for easy use), under a section it gives a rule zero answer, the GM has the right to declare items can be made in any way for their game. This is great for your game but not often for official rules and or writing official supplements or modules. 

Q: Can you make a ring the provides a bonus to DB?
A: Yes by placing a spell in it that provides a bonus to DB. You can either have the ring have a number of "casts" of the spell or you can have the spell have a duration of the length of your day (essentially constant) or you can use the rules for making the spell continuous (IIRC that is the name of the property)

Challenge/Question:
How would you?
Make a ring that provides only +5 DB and no other effect? Please state RM2 book, page #'s and rules where appropriate.

MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.