Author Topic: Director's Briefing - November 2020  (Read 1914 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing - November 2020
« on: November 01, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »
Welcome

To the one hundred-and-thirteenth Briefing and eleventh Briefing of 2020. We sincerely hope that you and yours are staying safe and managing as best you can in these trying circumstances.

Virtually Dragonmeet

As expected, Dragonmeet 2020 will be virtual. There will be a modest (relative to UK Games Expo and Gen Con Online) virtual convention and we will have some visibility there. It is not yet clear what will be sensible for us to run at the convention.

HARP and HARP SF

Terry continues to slog through the HARP Subterfuge tables and as soon as he declares completion, I will check the pdf. HARP Bestiary is still next for layout. Contracts are being issued for the first wave of art on HARP Beyond the Veil.

Shadow World

There have been some really good suggestions for what we might name a spell-using Monk profession in HARP for the Shadow World HARP Handbook. I particularly like Mystic (as Mentalist has become the name for the Mentalist/Seer equivalent variant Mage profession to come in Something Wicked Something Wondrous) and Martial Adept, but if someone has an even better suggestion, please let us know.

Brian Hanson’s The Priest-King of Shade has now entered its second pass editing, and I am expecting to give Colin the go-ahead to organize its artwork list in short order.

RMU

I have completed the editing pass on RMU Treasure Law! There are only some very minor issues to fix and some double-checking of references to Arms & Character Law and Spell Law. It should not take very long to resolve these. I was especially delighted that every item had its creation spells explicitly identified. So another manuscript to add to Colin’s artwork commissioning list! The only piece of the RMU puzzle still outstanding is thus Creature Law – still with Aaron and Jonathan.

Also in the RMU space, Max reports that he has been making great progress in preparing ERA for Rolemaster for RMU.

Until next time

Shadow World and other editing projects now beckon for this month.

Please stay safe.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Director's Briefing - November 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
There have been some really good suggestions for what we might name a spell-using Monk profession in HARP for the Shadow World HARP Handbook. I particularly like Mystic (as Mentalist has become the name for the Mentalist/Seer equivalent variant Mage profession to come in Something Wicked Something Wondrous) and Martial Adept, but if someone has an even better suggestion, please let us know.
I can't offer a new suggestion, but I would prefer to not re-use the name of the existing Rolemaster "Mystic" profession for the spell-using Monk because sooner or later this re-use will lead to confusion. Therefore, of the two suggestions given, I'd clearly prefer the Martial Adept.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
I did a quick search and found the generic Martial Arts Wizard, but I do not think that is great.

What I might do is talk to Terry and find out someone he want to immortalize with a name, ie often here on Earth the person and or group who creates a martial arts style has it named after them or by them.
So ask Terry if there is a person or one of their PC's he would think works in that situation.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:00:36 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_martial_arts

Above is a link to martial arts from India and one towards to bottom of styles deals with body, mind, etc that might be a good name.

But I still like maybe doing something honoring those of the past, like the Terrist or Amthorian or House of the Iron Crown, etc.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »
These days I think it's less acceptable to take a name from a different culture and use it for something only sort of related. Naming it after something in the setting is fun, though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 06:24:47 PM »
Agreed, but I often look at real world names and then make up other names from them or that sound like them.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.