Author Topic: Training Packages and starting wealth?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Training Packages and starting wealth?
« on: October 24, 2020, 05:48:08 AM »
This time around I have a simple question.
Somehow in my mind there is a vague memory of 20sp being the reference starting wealth in FRP, but I only find 2gp when I look now.
Some training packages increases starting wealth with 1D10. Should that be +1D10gp or +1D10sp?

And if you use the optional starting wealth rules from Character Law, would that be applied in lieu of the basic 2gp? If so, that could have some interesting effects if a player decides to put some dp into increased starting wealth.  ;D
Even the initial free roll has the potential of yielding jw(1pp) and a lucky player could end up starting with 11jw(1pp). Lol.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Training Packages and starting wealth?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »

(Sorry do not have access to my books at this time and I think my FRP book went walk about a while ago)

In general stating $ is widely dependent on the area and setting I am running. So in general I would reduce it to what fits your game setting and what makes sense for the TP. ie see what the noble TP provides for $ and then adjust the other TP to fit with in that high value.

I also tend to use the rules from Talent Law instead of the rules listed in FRP or SS core book.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
Thinking about this more,
1) What are the other prices in the book like?
Why? Well IIRC it was said in the past that they were thinking about changing the money standard to gp from sp and in at least one case in the book it did not get changed back from gp to sp.

Also another common error found:
Both in SS and I believe FRP the Gray Elf entry says they are immune to fear with no info about it in the stat section. This is wrong and they have no immunity to fear.

There was also a errata doc complied way back when with a lot of errata that you may want to look up. I do not have it on this PC that may help you with the questions you have going forward.

MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »
From my experience, 2 GP (which is the same as 20 SP) is the normal starting money. But, some of the races have that in different forms, like the "Common Man" who has it in the form of livestock (pg. 86, RMFRP corebook).

The training packages say something like "normal plus d10 (open ended)." In such a case, you would roll a d10 and add that much in silver pieces to your normal starting money, continuing to roll and add so long as you get "10s."

Any money rolls you take as Background Options are in addition to the regular starting money. Yes, you can get very lucky and start with some serious $$$.

The alternate Wealth rules in Character Law replace the 2 GP/20 SP in favor of a random amount that is determined by your character's wealth level and a roll. The first roll is "free" and has a modifier depending upon the wealth level. Again, you can come away with some serious money, but it looks like, even the Very Poor under that system will never have less than 25 SP (or 2.5 GP) of starting money with that system. Also, a "Very Poor" person could walk away with a 1 PP (read: 100 SP) jewel. Not sure about that.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 01:33:54 AM »
Thanks for chiming in. This really is a trivial thing, but I felt it wouldn't hurt getting some thoughts on the matter.  :D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
I found my FRP book and an important line is in the text on starting wealth, it goes something like this 2 gp should be enough to buy weapon(s), armor, .... .

From conversations in the past:
Weapon and Armor:
IIRC, in past versions of RM you got a weapon and armor appropriate to your background and culture.

Conversation about W&A and Equipment gained from Training Packages:
IIRC, it was put forth that a GM might want to reduce the starting money if the players were gaining a lot of equipment from Training Packages.

Wealth Table:
In my game I use Talent Law (RMSS) and not the tables in the core book, in general I have had 1 person use the wealth table. Why? Because TP can be used in other ways that are more beneficial to PC development, the one person I had use it was just tired of the PC creation process.
In Talent Law I believe or maybe it was discussed on the boards that a GM might want to scale the wealth table to a persons social standing.

Social Standing:
IMHO Social Standing can have a much bigger impact on starting PC development then it does in RMSS/FRP and a good 40-60 pages of material on this subject could be produced. One issue here is just how much it can be tied to a setting, location and or game world.

MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 07:31:57 PM »
Social Standing:
IMHO Social Standing can have a much bigger impact on starting PC development then it does in RMSS/FRP and a good 40-60 pages of material on this subject could be produced. One issue here is just how much it can be tied to a setting, location and or game world.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. In most games, I believe it is just best if the GM assigns what they feel is appropriate to the character/setting. Only if the player chooses to spend points to have more (or gain points to be used elsewhere and have less) should this be different. Basically, if you have two human male fighters, but one is a noble and the other is from the underclass, the noble fighter should have access to more and better weapons and armor. Of course, on a player level, the nobles player spent points on being noble and getting the benefits thereof, and the other player spent them elsewhere - like maybe better stats or higher skills.

I love Talent Law and really don't like playing RM without it.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »
This time around I have a simple question.
Somehow in my mind there is a vague memory of 20sp being the reference starting wealth in FRP, but I only find 2gp when I look now.
The RMSS RAW suggest 2gp or the equivalent value in other coins or belongings. In many cases I would guess it does not matter whether its 2gp or 20sp.
Some training packages increases starting wealth with 1D10. Should that be +1D10gp or +1D10sp?
From the rules on pg. 265 of the RMSS book I understand that it should be additional silver pieces.