Author Topic: Trying to make a Roll20 character sheet for RM2/RMC  (Read 3264 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Trying to make a Roll20 character sheet for RM2/RMC
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 08:19:54 PM »
In Dec of last year I was at a Starfinder game and we lost power, luckily we all had our PC/Tablets/Phones open with our PC's and then GM just had to draw the maps instead of relying on the LCD that he used for a map surface.

Another good tip:
If you have a lot of tabs open or and specific order of items to display, make a text doc with the links to each item. That way if you have them open and something happens to your browser you can just quickly go to your text doc with the links and click on them there. You do not have to try and remember exactly where and what you had prep'ed if something crazy happens.
The above is a tip I learned when teaching MCSE classes and it has helped in so many other things.   

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 01:48:29 AM »
So... the Roll20 sheet is really an integrated sheet for using the Roll20 platform. No printing or saving outside of Roll20 is possible, but the sheet are saved in the Roll20 cloud platform, not on your computer. No loss if you computer/tablet crash. If you have an internet connection, that's work :)

I've been able to change the table layout without visual impact, so the code is good for the pull request now.

You can see on the right side of the character sheet a small table with weapons skills. This is a recap of the combat skills the player can fin and use easily. They can enter the OB/DB split, and can use it for directed spells as well. So in combat, no need to search on the full primary skill list :)
RM2/SM2 french gamemaster

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 06:34:12 AM »
Onirim is this up on the Roll20 list of Rolemaster versions?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »
I know nothing of Roll20 so thanks for that info.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 03:56:11 AM »
Hi all,

The Rolemaster 2nd-Classic character sheet is live! It's working for RM1 and RMX too, and "may" work for RMU.

On the campaign setting page and on the settings tab of the character sheet you can change the hp calculations and the professional bonus calculations.

Next week I plan to add a color selection for the sheet.

Happy gaming!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »
In the skill section: is it only the prof bonus that is coded with lvl ? And where do I get my bonus form ranks?
Stats: Does it not calculate the stat bonus from the stat written in?
OB: what does is the DB after the OB do?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
In the skill section: is it only the prof bonus that is coded with lvl ? And where do I get my bonus form ranks?
Stats: Does it not calculate the stat bonus from the stat written in?
OB: what does is the DB after the OB do?
In the skill section, the only bonus per level calculated (is the right option is chosen) is the profession bonus. I don't calculate the bonus by ranks because it depend of the skill (some skills use a 5% per point, some a 1% per point, and the other 5/5/2/2/1. And I want the GM to be capable of using the bonus he want from the #ranks, so no calculations here.

In the stats, I don't calculate the stat bonus because there is so much options about that, I want the GM to be able to choose and adapt. So yeah, you need to calculate the stat bonus (by addition like RMU or RMFRP, by simple stat bonus like the base rules, or legacy style by the average stats of 1, 2 or 3 stats). Too difficult to made this in code for the moment, but maybe later!

For the weapons you have the OB and DB because of the weapon skill split rule. The player can choose, for each round of combat, how many of the skill bonus goes to OB, and how many goes to DB. The player can also enter some predefined scores, for example an offensive sword stance (60 OB, 10 DB), a standard stance (35 OB, 35 DB) or a defensive stance (0 OB, 75 DB because of the +5 def weapon).

:)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
I was playing around with it a little today and really all it needs is the various bits of math to be done for us. I get the reasoning behind not having it in there, and as a non-programmer who has done some "copy and paste" scripts to use APIs in Roll20, I can see the complication even small bits of random put in them, but (you knew it was coming  ;) ) I have also seen other sheets that have various options on the "Game Settings" page where you can choose specific rules to use.

For example, I have been putting together a Pulp-Era Isle of Dread campaign (punch Nazis!, ride dinosaurs!, delve ancient and non-human ruins!) and have decided on using the Pulp Cthulhu rules (dabbled with d6, but went another direction). When I chose them, the page had options for my to choose from, including the era and if I was wanting to use the Pulp Cthulhu rules. So, I chose what I wanted and the character sheet uses those rules. I guess what I am saying is that you could put it together where the individual user would be able to choose what rules they wanted when they put the campaign together.

I also get that you are not doing this for money (at least not directly, and the indirect route is long and winding), but I and quite a few others would absolutely love to have better RM options on Roll20. And, as it is a very popular gaming site, making the character creation and advancement process for RM as easy as possible would be the best way to get more players on board. That is one of the biggest gripes I hear about the game: takes so long to make a character that can die in 5-seconds.

Now, ICE, let me talk to you about importing the combat tables so they can be a built in feature...
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 05:17:51 AM »
Hi RandalThor,

I plan to add some more calculations in the future, and I will always put an option to no calculate some things, because RM is all about options and houserules. I plan to add stats bonus and rank bonus calculations for example, but need to keep it simple and understandable too.

I've always played Rolemaster, since 1996, with sheets of paper and a pencil. For me, no RPG need to be fully automated because heh, it's not a video game! If a rule cannot be handled by humain brain it's a bad rule, and it's the main reason I always play to RM2 and keep it simple. So automatisation is not a big deal for me. I understand it will help, and I will code some more features :)

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
So... the Roll20 sheet is really an integrated sheet for using the Roll20 platform.

Thank you for your work on this and sharing it with the Rolemaster community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2020, 01:23:49 PM »
Hello Onirim,

I don't think any of the things I was talking about would deny anyone their ability to have house rules. It would only mean that GM would have to choose the options when they put together the campaign so they will be reflected on the PC sheet. I think that would actually be a good thing because it would make the GM think about them and codify them, and then not have to worry about them. (Of course, it would be a good idea to make sure the players know. Duh.  ;D )

Us old timers don't tend to worry too much about putting in some time to do things in games, but we are being phased out, and if ICE wants to be a game company with a future, they are going to need to start catering to the newer gamers. That is just the way things work. Evolution.

Thanks for putting the work in, it is really appreciated.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2020, 06:10:56 AM »
Update for the next week:

- Adding development points auto-calculations (flat or by level)
- Adding development point bonus calculations (fixed or by % of primary dev points)
- Adding the BMR in the sheet (and the maximum pace selection)
- Adding the sheet color selection in the options (just because it's beautiful)
- Cleaning the code

I hope you will like them :)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2020, 08:44:16 AM »

That's a wonderful idea!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2020, 05:47:17 AM »
Update for the next week:

- Adding development points auto-calculations (flat or by level)
- Adding development point bonus calculations (fixed or by % of primary dev points)
- Adding the BMR in the sheet (and the maximum pace selection)
- Cleaning the code

I hope you will like them :)
Looking forward to the updates :0