Author Topic: Looking for ideas to use SMP Psychic powers in RM2/C  (Read 2070 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Looking for ideas to use SMP Psychic powers in RM2/C
« on: October 16, 2020, 06:39:20 AM »
SMP has an interesting take on Psychic powers with each ability being a skill within a category. I wondering how this can be used in RMC.
Development seems expensive so I’m thinking that only categories are developed with each rank in the category gives you a rank to spend at an ability as well.
Im brainstorming a bit of course.

Any other suggestions or sources about using SMP in RM?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Looking for ideas to use SMP Psychic powers in RM2/C
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
IIRC the idea on how to do Psionics like this came from an section in one of the RM2 C's and or the SUC. I am sorry but I do not remember which one at the moment.

But the idea was to buy topics and then effects in those topics, IIRC, and the system was much more free form in nature vs spell lists.

One difference IIRC is that Psionics effects go off right now and they suffer penalties for the next couple of rounds and in RM2 you have to wait 3 rounds to cast the spell.

In General RM2 skills and DP vs RMSS category system and DP's:
I have found that there is much more involved when comparing RM2 just skills and X DP per level to RMSS skill and category and 2X DP per level then the just double DP accounts for. In general I have tended to see PC's much more likely to buy skills for story development and just because it fits my PC vs I have to decide on what skill I need to not have this level that I think I need for game play. Note this does not include players who have bought 3 ranks in the skills they think they need and have extra DP to do with as they wish, in general I am talking about those who buy 2 ranks per level and then decide to do with the left over DP as they wish.

SLA and Psionics:
If you use the SLA method, ie buy ranks and then roll to see if you get the list to a specific rank is potentially problematic vs spend DP to get one rank in an ability.

I think those are the main points but I have to go.
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »
One other idea I had was to look at how HARP Sci Fi does psionics and see if that might work for RM2.
I do not remember exactly what is in the HARP way of game mechanics for psionics so I cannot help you out more on this.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:42:08 PM »
I understand why Mark would prefer not to use Mentalism spells for psionics in Dark Sun, but personally, I would, because it is much easier to do than to invent a new system for it.

I would also say that using the Mentalism realm for Dark Sun psionics is even easier in the new version of Rolemaster coming out soon, RMU. This is because RMU essentially makes all spells of the caster's level or lower into Instantaneous spells (no prep necessary). You also don't need to make gestures or sounds to cast Mentalism spells. So RMU-style Mentalism seems even closer to Dark Sun psionics because of this (even if they are not exactly the same): they can happen more or less instantly, rather than needing a lengthy period of spell preparation.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 05:36:23 PM »
I have no "dog in the hunt" as they say to using Mentalism or Psionics in Dark Sun as I have not read the setting since the 90's.
As for myself I loved the setting when reading about it but that excitement and enjoyment never was reflected when either GMing or playing in the setting.

I was providing Psionic info based on the OP's question and the things I read in the other settings (IIRC) section that he and others have posted about trying to make Psionics unique vs magic.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »
Just looking into options really. Psionics as skills was a very interesting idea, it just highly limits the number of possible effects.
As Mark suggested HARP SciFi is another option though I have never studied the system.

I know there were guides to do RM2 -> RMSS, so I was wondering whether the reverse was true.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »
Often people think that since RMSS DP is about x2 that of RM2 the easy answer is to divide the SM:P DP values by 2 to use in a RM2/C system.
I have found that it is often not as easy as that but it can give you something to work with.

RMSS to RM2:
I do not know of any stated like that but you could simply do the reverse of RM2 to RMSS that are in some of the early RMSS books.

ROCO's:
As I said if you have all of the RoCO's and the SUC I am fairly sure that the idea was presented as an alternate magic system that was adapted to psionics. ie that being buy a area of focus fire then the ranks in the fire discipline give you other stuff to work with.

RMU:
I have not seen any RMU stuff since RMU B2 so I will hold most comments until I see what changes have been made and where they have been made.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
You can also use the rules from RM2 SM and then try and make them different then spell casting in some way.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
Reading through Privateers again I came across the concept that instead of preparation time which take several rounds, there’s a cooldown/recovery period instead.
Right now i’m combined SUC’s psionics with mentalism and simply making all powers Class I though that seems to over do it a bit.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
If over doing it works then keep it, if you want to change it then maybe look at the following, change MP amount or way they are used to generate effects, change DP in some way, change fumbles, etc.
You can also look at the reverse in that you make magic easier in some way vs psionics to balance more.

In general if too many people take psionics vs magic then you may have an issue.

Also I have played in settings in which somethings were not balanced and had a very fun time. But I agree that it may not be for every group especially if you group is of the everyone has to be balanced all the time and in every situation.

MDC   

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
RMU also makes all spells of the caster's level or below essentially class I. However, it also has some limits for balance sake. Spells over a caster's level take a penalty to the casting roll (-15 or -20 per level over would be reasonable IMHO). RMU also has PP regenerate somewhat slower. So you can cast spells of your own level or below quickly, but higher level spells will still need prep or have a higher chance of failure, and you have to use your PP judiciously.

So those might be additional ways you could balance spells if you want to make casting faster.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 07:47:05 AM »
Dark Sun Setting and or Fiction Help?
Is there something in the setting and or Dark Sun fiction that can help you create psionic mechanics and or help you differentiate them from magic?

If Psionics are more powerful now, do they also have interactions with items like magic does?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 10:29:34 PM »
I’m deeply appreciative of all the help I’ve been given so far.

I was just looking alternate ways of handling Psinics other than the SUC variation I’m using now by converting Mentalism and dividing up the lists in fields.
Which was why I asked whether there guidelines anywhere for using the Privateers’ version with an older version of RM. I’m looking more into mechanics than fiction, which is why I’m thinking how to use the recuperation period in RM2. Maybe -50 for a class II spell, reduced by Presence stat bonus. Still working on it.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 01:54:43 AM »
Ok,
I thought there might be a setting rule and or fiction explanation like, that you have to have a little green idol of By-Ba Da-Yo (Baby Yoda with the letters mixed up) to use psionics.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.