Author Topic: Cultural Summaries  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cultural Summaries
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »
I'm gearing up for a new game in Kulthea (RMU), and am wondering: has anyone ever compiled a list of all the cultural summaries that appear in Shadow World books? We have the brief descriptions of races in the Master Atlas, but I'm talking about the cultural summaries of the sort we get in the Cloudlords of Tanara, where they break down a culture in regards to its religion, military, appearance, etc. My players really like those, and I'd love to have a quick reference so I can know which cultures have had this sort of summary.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cultural Summaries
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »
And in iron wind, mur-fostisyr book!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »
Yes, they're in a lot of books. Emer III for example continues the tradition (Kuluku, Garks, Ahnasai, etc.)!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
Yes, those details are incredible. It's what sold me when I found the 1st Emer boxed set (of course it is now 30 years old or so.  :o  ).

I tell ya, something like that, updated with new details and portraits (maybe similar to the SW Players Guide) would be some sweet business.  Makes me wonder if you couldn't use that GANN (artbreeder) to create portraits of the various races in SW. I mean after all it's facial portraits feature has like 30 parameters to set and tweak.  Course those are all licensed via Creative Commons)(*).

Silt
(*) "... any images you create on Artbreederunder the Creative Commons CC0license. This effectively releases any image you create on Artbreeder into the public domain. Such images may be used by anyone for any purpose, with or without attribution."
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »
I'd definitely love to see portraits of each of the newer PC races for RMU, as well as good portraits of all the old Kulthea races.

BTW, there are some good portraits of some races (Talath, Qaidu, Hirazi) in the new version of Jaiman IIRC.

Offline Crivens

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »
Yes, those details are incredible. It's what sold me when I found the 1st Emer boxed set (of course it is now 30 years old or so.  :o  ).

I tell ya, something like that, updated with new details and portraits (maybe similar to the SW Players Guide) would be some sweet business.  Makes me wonder if you couldn't use that GANN (artbreeder) to create portraits of the various races in SW. I mean after all it's facial portraits feature has like 30 parameters to set and tweak.  Course those are all licensed via Creative Commons)(*).

Silt
(*) "... any images you create on Artbreederunder the Creative Commons CC0license. This effectively releases any image you create on Artbreeder into the public domain. Such images may be used by anyone for any purpose, with or without attribution."

Siltoneous what have you done...I didn't knew about Artbreeder...now it's too late, I am gonna spend hours on it
Need to find a good signature...

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:06:46 PM »
LOL... Yea, it can get addictive.  I wanted a more diverse set of Tokens for my FG players, so I spent a good number of hours there. The standing figures are pretty horrific, but those portraits... pretty sweet.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad