Author Topic: RMSS Learning spells question  (Read 711 times)

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS Learning spells question
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
Sorry still learning the Standard System here.
Am I reading this correctly?
Per Section 15.2
Each time you spend development points you gain one spell level (which could mean no spell at all).  Learning portions of a list no longer applies.  And the cost increases if you try to learn more than 5 spell  lists (say one rank in each list) when you level up.  And the cost increases with each spell bracket as well.

Also how does RMSS handle stacking multipliers?  Is +100% (2x) and +100% (2x) = 3x (200%) or 4x(300%)?
Say you decide to learn a 6th level spell (2x) from your 6th list (2x). If a semi-spell user and say it is an open list from his own realm, would you be spending 8DP x 2 x 2 = 32 DP?  Or 8 DP x 3 = 24 DP? Or something else?

Thanks!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: RMSS Learning spells question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
Each time you spend development points you gain one spell level (which could mean no spell at all).  Learning portions of a list no longer applies.  And the cost increases if you try to learn more than 5 spell  lists (say one rank in each list) when you level up.  And the cost increases with each spell bracket as well.

Right.

Also how does RMSS handle stacking multipliers?  Is +100% (2x) and +100% (2x) = 3x (200%) or 4x(300%)?
Say you decide to learn a 6th level spell (2x) from your 6th list (2x). If a semi-spell user and say it is an open list from his own realm, would you be spending 8DP x 2 x 2 = 32 DP?  Or 8 DP x 3 = 24 DP? Or something else?

What I see for a semi-spell user and an open list is 8/8 up to 10th level, then 12 for 11-15th level, 18 for 16-20th level, 25 for 21st level and up. If a semi develops a 6th list at a given level, that 6th list would cost 8/8 x2 = 16/16. (In practice, I don't think I've seen a semi develop 6+ lists at a given level. Pure and hybrid casters would though.)

I think you are looking in the "Non" column. That does not apply here at all. That would be for a non-spellcaster, i.e. an Arms character like a fighter. Since all the Arms professions have different costs for magic, they didn't want to list each cost, but for example for a fighter, an open list is 25 DP. So if they want to learn a 6th level spell, the cost is 25x2 = 50 DP. For Rogues, an open list is "only" 15 DP, so that 6th level spell will be 15x2 = 30 DP. Multipliers are never going to combine here, you'd have to be an Arms character developing at least 6 spell lists at a given level, which is a minimum cost of 90 DP (for rogue), and one of them would have to be 6th level, so the cost (depending on how you multiply) would be 105 or 120. So, basically, that would never happen.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster