Author Topic: RMSS Body development math help needed please.  (Read 826 times)

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS Body development math help needed please.
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:21:39 AM »
I'm reading the section on page 160 and I cannot figure this out.
The example character starts with 10 +7(adolescent bonus) -6 (2x his -3 con penalty) +1 (SD bonus) = 12.  He buys 2 ranks as a half elf (0 7 5 3 1) and it says he gets to add 14 hits.

Where does this 14 come from?  I do not see how 5 + 3 = 14?  Or am I (probably) reading these charts wrong or missing something in the formula?

Quote from: RMSS 160
10 + (2 x Co stat bonus) + SD stat bonus
+ profession bonus + skill rank bonus
+ any special bonuses

Also the first # for every race is 0 does that mean the first rank of Body development purchased each level gives you 0 hits?  And that you must spend 2 ranks say for a half-elf to gain 7 hits?

Thanks in advance!  ;D

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMSS Body development math help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »
Ah I think I figured it out. As the 2 purchases count as different 'levels' each time he gains 7. 

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "level" here, I think that makes it more confusing. Your character level is not relevant here.

The 0.7.5.3.1 progression means that for each of the first 10 ranks you purchase (or get through adolescence or training packages or whatever), you get +7. The 11th through the 20th rank only get you +5, etc.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
Not being an RMSS guy, can I ask: why is the 0 there at all? What does it indicate?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:28:47 PM »
The first number in the progression is the modifier if you have zero ranks. That never happens for body development, but the idea is that you would just get +0 if you have 0 ranks. Same thing is true for power point progressions.

That's different from most skills. The "combined" progression, for skills where you don't have to also purchase the category, is -30*5*3*1.5*0.5. That means if you have 0 ranks, you get -30. As soon as you get at least one rank, that -30 goes away and you get +5 for that first rank.

We did not keep this concept for RMU, but you could express RMU's progression for all skills as -25*5*3*2*1, or as -25*6*4*3*1 for your professional skills.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 04:05:31 PM »
Cool, thanks.

It is good the way RMU is able to blend the RM2 and RMSS systems in a way that also simplifies progression to a standard form. It takes the idea of level-based professional bonus from RM2 and in a way blends it with RMSS's concept of alternate rank progression. It is not often you can give a nod to both systems and simplify things at the same time!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 04:41:51 PM »
Ah, I do like the standardization of RMU more...now if there was only a version of R Office for it... :)