Author Topic: Which skill?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Ruffie

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Which skill?
« on: March 03, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
Last session ended with out party being attacked by a group of Walrus-like monsters. One of our party was still in a boat as the Walrus tried to crawl in. What skill would you use to see if the player can keep his balance? I couldn't find something on the fly.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Which skill?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
Acrobatics or Sailing?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
When in doubt, I like to let the players make suggestions. "What's your most relevant skill?" Acrobatics and Sailing definitely make sense, I could also see Rowing (which also entails spending a lot of time in a boat), Adrenal Balance, Boat Pilot... RMSS has so many skills, there will often be more than one that could be applicable.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 10:29:38 PM »
Easier difficulty if the character has Athletic*Gymnastics.
Even easier with actual Acrobatics, otherwise just make it a Moving Maneuver(MM) roll.

Don’t forget to be hardcore if the Player didn’t take off their character’s armour.
*sploosh!*
 ;D

Offline Ruffie

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 01:57:18 AM »
Well in this case it wasn't really a problem seeing as it was our warrior monk AT1 and he is nimble enough. But there are other situations where this would be relevant. Seeing as this adventure will have a very large sea portion.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Last session ended with out party being attacked by a group of Walrus-like monsters. One of our party was still in a boat as the Walrus tried to crawl in. What skill would you use to see if the player can keep his balance? I couldn't find something on the fly.
My first choice would be Adrenal Balance. Or, perhaps a bit harder in terms of maneuver difficulty, Acrobatics.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 01:55:19 AM »
I would definitely go with the player applying their most relevant skill.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
Straight check vs Agility.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 02:05:54 AM »
Well, since it is RMSS ;) .... It allows you/the players a variety of choices/approaches, although perhaps initially limiting the test somewhat to 1-2 Default categories.... Athletic/Gymnastic (Basic balance), Tech/Trade ? (specific appropriate professional experience) in the first instance.

Then let the player make a single suggestion as to a replacement/assist skill if they wish.... but then customize the result of their choice in either a bonus to the inital check or introduce a limiting factor... i.e. A player uses a more strength related skill to "just hang on"... in which case, they do that, just hang on, but are unable to do anything else, like attack for instance.