Author Topic: Keying magical items - and removing the keying  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Keying magical items - and removing the keying
« on: February 23, 2020, 03:06:23 AM »
As per Treasure Companion, magical items can be keyed - restricted in their use in any arbitrary way, like... only for elves, only against orcs, not usable by orcs, etc.

I wonder - is there any way that I haven't found yet to REMOVE such a keying on a given magical item?

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Keying magical items - and removing the keying
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:38:27 PM »
I wonder - is there any way that I haven't found yet to REMOVE such a keying on a given magical item?

It's really up to you. Invent one that fits the item. For example maybe removing the pommel stone on a magic sword could remove the restriction that only allows elves to use it, or it removes the Of Slaying Orcs effect.

I think what is important is that if you do allow for such a thing to happen you need to be consistent in how you apply it. Create some house rules around the idea so that your players aren't left feeling like it's something totally arbitrary, or that it exists solely for the convenience of the GM.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
You would need some sort of Disenchant spell.  It would depend on how the item was magicked.  Was it crafted with enchanted ore?  Was the spell added to the completed item?  Is the spell in the gem in the hilt that can be removed?  Whatever the case is, it should be rather difficult, possibly leading to the destruction of the item.

In RM2 Alchemy Companion - Unmaking Ways... to permanently remove an enchantment, is a level 50 spell "Unmake."

Oh yeah... it's the Evil Alchemist Base List too.  :micro:
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »
Enchant the item again, only this time add the same enchantment, but keyed to everybody left out the first time.

I mean, the whole point of a keyed item is to deny it to people you don't want using it. It would be designed not to be removed without destroying the whole enchantment it was part of.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline farseer22

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:34:56 AM »
Maybe a better way to go about it would be to have an item that tricks other items into thinking you're part of the key group? Like a ring that gives you the aura of an elf allowing you to interact with the sword properly.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
Maybe a better way to go about it would be to have an item that tricks other items into thinking you're part of the key group? Like a ring that gives you the aura of an elf allowing you to interact with the sword properly.

That's very sensible. A more cinematic alternative would be an item that actually turns you into whatever the key group is.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:29:47 AM »
All hail the "Misfeel" spells?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.